Radium Decay Series Question

In summary: Interesting, that has given me to think about. Overall the decays Radium-226 to Radon-222, Radon-222 to Polonium-218, Polonium-218 to Lead-214, and finally Polonium-214 to Lead-210, were all detected. The other two showed no signs. I wondering if it does involve the ratio of half lifes..
~Sam~

Homework Statement

A experiment was carried out to detect the alpha particles in the decay of Radium-226, it was left for 24 hours overnight. In the end, four decay spectrums were detected. However, none of them matched the energies of decays in astatine-218, and Radon-218. But the alpha decay of Polonium-214 to Lead-210 was detected.

Homework Equations

I used the chart listed here:

http://www.downtheyellowcakeroad.org/userfiles/image/Uranium_238_DChn_TBL_608x801.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that the production of astatine-218 and radon-218 were done with beta decay, and that when astatine and radon go through alpha decay, the half-life is very short to be detected. However, I cannot explain why the decay of Polonium 214 to Pb-210 was detected.

Physics news on Phys.org
~Sam~ said:

Homework Statement

A experiment was carried out to detect the alpha particles in the decay of Radium-226, it was left for 24 hours overnight. In the end, four decay spectrums were detected. However, none of them matched the energies of decays in astatine-218, and Radon-218. But the alpha decay of Polonium-214 to Lead-210 was detected.

Homework Equations

I used the chart listed here:

http://www.downtheyellowcakeroad.org/userfiles/image/Uranium_238_DChn_TBL_608x801.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that the production of astatine-218 and radon-218 were done with beta decay, and that when astatine and radon go through alpha decay, the half-life is very short to be detected. However, I cannot explain why the decay of Polonium 214 to Pb-210 was detected.
I'm not a nuclear physicist, but here's something to look at.

Compare the ratio of the half-lifes of Pb210 to its parent (Po214) with the ratio of At218 or Rn218 to their parent (Po218).

The ratios are quite different.

I don't think the Beta argument works, but like I said, I'm not a nuke-phys!

SammyS said:
I'm not a nuclear physicist, but here's something to look at.

Compare the ratio of the half-lifes of Pb210 to its parent (Po214) with the ratio of At218 or Rn218 to their parent (Po218).

The ratios are quite different.

I don't think the Beta argument works, but like I said, I'm not a nuke-phys!

Interesting, that has given me to think about. Overall the decays Radium-226 to Radon-222, Radon-222 to Polonium-218, Polonium-218 to Lead-214, and finally Polonium-214 to Lead-210, were all detected. The other two showed no signs. I wondering if it does involve the ratio of half lifes..

1. What is the Radium Decay Series?

The Radium Decay Series, also known as the Uranium Decay Series, is a sequence of radioactive elements that occur as a result of the decay of uranium. Radium is the second element in this series and is formed when uranium decays into thorium.

2. How does radium decay?

Radium decays through a process called alpha decay, where it emits an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) from its nucleus. This results in the formation of a new element, radon.

3. What is the half-life of radium?

The half-life of radium-226, the most common isotope of radium, is 1,600 years. This means that it takes 1,600 years for half of a sample of radium-226 to decay into other elements.

4. Is radium dangerous?

Yes, radium is a highly radioactive element and can be dangerous if ingested or inhaled. It can cause damage to cells and tissues and increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer.

5. How is radium used in scientific research?

Radium is used in various scientific research applications, such as in the study of radioactivity and nuclear reactions. It is also used in the production of radon gas, which is used in cancer treatment and as a radiation source for industrial and scientific purposes.