1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence help

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    Hi there - I'm trying to work out the radius of convergence of the series [itex] \sum_{n \geq 1} n^{\sqrt{n}}z^n [/itex] and I'm not really sure where to get going - I've tried using the ratio test and got (not very far) with [itex]lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac{n^{\sqrt{n}}}{(n+1)^{\sqrt{n+1}}}|[/itex], and with the root test, [itex]\left( {lim sup_{n \to \infty} n^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}}}\right) ^{-1} [/itex], neither of which seem to help me =/

I have a strong feeling the latter converges to 1 but even if I'm right I'm not totally sure how to prove it, and I may well be wrong. What should my next move be?

Thanks a lot!

Mathmos6

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't give up so fast on the root test. What IS the limit n->infinity n^(1/sqrt(n))?

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    I'm guessing 1, but I'm not sure how to prove it?

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the log to turn it into a quotient. Try to find the limit of the log. Now you can use things like l'Hopital's theorem.

6. Mar 10, 2009 #5
    That's brilliant, thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook