Solving for Radius of Convergence: 1/(1+x^2) and arctan (x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the radius of convergence for the series of 1/(1+x^2) and its integration, as well as the series for arctan(x). The assignment solution claims that the radius of convergence for arctan(x) is also 1, but the student believes it is incorrect. The student also mentions a calculation of 2 for the radius of convergence of arctan(x), but does not provide further details. A possible solution using the ratio test is suggested and the student realizes they may have made a mistake in their calculation.
rootX
[SOLVED] Radius of Convergence

Homework Statement

1/(1+x^2) = sum ( (-1)^k*x^(2k) ; 0 ; inf) - A

integrating

arctan (x) = sum ((-1)^k * x^(2k+1) / (2k+1) ; 0; inf) B

I know A has radius of converge of 1, and I calculated B to be 2.

My assignment solution says "Similarly, the series for 1/(1+x^2) has R = 1 and integrating does not affect this. so R for atan (x) series is 1"

Obviously, they are wrong :biggrin:. Right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation ;0;inf)-A and ;0;inf)B is confusing. Can you clarify?

Sorry for the confusion.
It says sum of "(-1)^k * x^(2k+1) / (2k+1) "
k is from 0 to inf

[they are series]

rootX said:

Homework Statement

1/(1+x^2) = sum ( (-1)^k*x^(2k) ; 0 ; inf) - A

integrating

arctan (x) = sum ((-1)^k * x^(2k+1) / (2k+1) ; 0; inf) B

I know A has radius of converge of 1, and I calculated B to be 2.

My assignment solution says "Similarly, the series for 1/(1+x^2) has R = 1 and integrating does not affect this. so R for atan (x) series is 1"

Obviously, they are wrong :biggrin:. Right?

Thanks.
Well, there is one other possiblity!

Unfortunately, since you don't say HOW you got 2 as the radius of convergence for B, there isn't a whole lot I can say.

Using the ratio test,
[tex]\frac{|x^{2k+3}|}{2k+3}\frac{2k+1}{|x^{2k+1}|}= \frac{2k+1}{2k+3}|x|^2< 1[/tex]
gives |x|< 1. Radius of convergence 1.

Did you forget the "2" on 2k+ 3?

Thanks a lot,

I saw 2 in there (2^2k+1), and made it
abs(x^2)/4 <1
without going through all the steps.

What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to the distance from the center of a power series to the point where the series converges. It is denoted by R and can be calculated using various methods.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

There are multiple methods for calculating the radius of convergence, including the ratio test, the root test, and the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem. These methods involve determining the convergence of the series and using mathematical formulas to calculate the value of R.

What does the radius of convergence tell us about a power series?

The radius of convergence provides important information about the behavior of a power series. It indicates the values of the independent variable for which the series will converge, and also gives an estimation of the distance from the center of convergence to the nearest point of divergence.

Can the radius of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the radius of convergence can be infinite for certain power series. This means that the series will converge for all values of the independent variable. However, it is more common for the radius of convergence to be a finite value.

How is the radius of convergence used in real-world applications?

The concept of radius of convergence is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. It is particularly useful in numerical analysis and approximation methods, where power series are commonly used to represent functions and solve complex equations.