1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the radius of convergence for [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]\frac{nx^{2n}}{2^{n}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Ratio test

3. The attempt at a solution

I apply the ratio test to get [tex]\frac{(n+1)(x^{2})}{2n}[/tex]. I let n approach infinity, to get [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. So, this series converges when |x2|<1. So, I have -1<x2<1. Now I'm lost, where can I go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2
    I think that should be x^2 < 2 actually. Since it will converge if x^2 / 2 is less than 1.Also, I don't believe you need to make it absolute value of x^2 since x^2 will always be positive.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  4. Aug 10, 2008 #3
    So it converges on this interval (-[tex]\infty[/tex],2)?

5. Aug 10, 2008 #4
    Remember you have x^2 < 2. Just solve it for x. And about that absolute value thing, disregard what I said.

6. Aug 10, 2008 #5
    So, I get x<[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] (I know that doesn't make sense).

7. Aug 10, 2008 #6
    Ok, well my instruction in my first post to remove the absolute value signs was dumb. If you take the root of both sides you get root of x^2 < root of 2. Remember that the root of x^2 is the absolute value of x anyway. So you see why what I told you was such a waste of time?

To clarify, you have:

[tex]\left|x^{2}\right|<2[/tex] then

[tex]\left|x\right|<\sqrt{2}[/tex]

8. Aug 10, 2008 #7
    Ok I'm feeling pretty dense right now, so I'm going to say the radius is -[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]<x<[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]?

9. Aug 10, 2008 #8
    Haha, ok thank you! I see your an east coaster, lol. For me it's only 12.

10. Aug 10, 2008 #9
    Just to clarify, I have no idea what I am talking about and should stop clarifying. I was right originally! It SHOULD be absolute x is less than root 2. You DO need need the radius to be in terms of x to the power of one. Live and learn. My apologies, I am watching a debate with creationists I could send you if you require me to make ammends.

11. Aug 10, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The instruction to take the root originally was correct. That is because the "2" in the exponent of x.

By the ratio test we must have
    [tex]\frac{(n+1)|x|^{2(n+1)}}{2^{n+1}}\frac{2^n}{n|x|^n}= \frac{n+1}{n}\cdot\frac{1}{2}|x|^n< 1[/tex]

The limit of that is not "1/2", it is (1/2)|x|2 which must be less than 1: (1/2)|x|2< 1 so |x|2< 2 and [itex]|x|< \sqrt{2}[/itex].

12. Aug 10, 2008 #11
    Ok thank you. So because it is a power series, it will converge when [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]|x2|<1, and diverge when [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]|x2|>1.

13. Aug 10, 2008 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

More correctly, it will converge absolutely for for (1/2)x2|< 1, diverge for (1/2)x2|> 1 and may converge conditionally or diverge when (1/2)x2|= 1.

That is, of course, because the ratio test says that a sum, [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n[/itex] of positive numbers will converge if [itex]lim a_{n+1}/a_n< 1[/itex] converge for [itex]lim a_{n+1}/a_n >1[/itex] and may converge or diverge if that limit is 1.

14. Aug 10, 2008 #13
    Ok great! Thank you for the clarification.

15. Aug 11, 2008 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, by the way, "the radius is [tex]-\sqrt{2}< x< \sqrt{2}[/tex]" is wrong. That is the interval of convergence. The radius of convergence is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]

16. Aug 11, 2008 #15
    That makes sense. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?