1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence

1. May 30, 2009 #1
    Hey ,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question regarding calculating the radius of convergence of the infinity series of (1/n!)x^(n!)

This is my work

First we consider when abs(x) < 1
    then we have 0 <= abs(x^n!) <= abs(x^n)
    so we know that the series converges whenever abs(x) < 1 , so by the comparison test, we conclude that the series converges for abs(x) < 1

Now consider abs(x) > 1
    we have 0<= abs (x) <= abs(x^n!)
    so the series by comparison test diverges for abs(x) > 1

After that , I consider what happen at x=1 and x=-1 , it turned out that they converges as well .
    So my radius of convergence is [-1,1] and the series converges for abs(x) <= 1

is this approach correct ? because i thought that for question like this , ratio test is not a good approach.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see anything wrong, except that your radius of convergence, R, is 1. The interval of convergence is [-1, 1], and the radius of this interval is 1.

4. May 31, 2009 #3
    Alright thanks a lot =D .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook