1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    Hello.
    I need explanation on why the answer for this problem is R = ∞.

Here's the question and the solution.

Expand the function into maclaurin series and find the radius of convergence.
    $zsin(z^2)$

Solution:
    $$zsin(z^2)=z\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{z^{2(2n+1)}}{(2n+1)!}$$

Divide both sides by z,

$$sin(z^2)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{z^{2(2n+1)}}{(2n+1)!}$$

So here's the calculation but I don't know how to get the radius of convergence. Answer is ∞.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2014 #2
  4. Jul 21, 2014 #3

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  5. Jul 21, 2014 #4
    I think the ratio test should start off like this

[itex]lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac {(-1)^{n+1} \cdot z^{2 \cdot (2(n+1)+1)})}{(2(n+1)+1)!} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)!}{(-1)^{n} \cdot z^{2 \cdot (2n+1)}} | [/itex]

You should find that the limit is 0, so R = ∞.

6. Jul 21, 2014 #5
    That's what I did, only that I use the formula to find R directly, instead of L because R is just 1/L.
    Could you show me the steps until you get 0, please? Because as you see mine, I got 4 :/

7. Jul 21, 2014 #6
    Oh, I get it now! I just googled about limits and learned it again. I think I understand now why the lmit is infinity. Thanks!

8. Jul 21, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For others who might be wondering here is your mistake: near the end you have
    [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|-4n^2+ 10n+ 6\right|[/tex]
    and then immediately have
    [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|-(4- \frac{10}{n}- \frac{6}{n^2})\right|[/tex]
    where you have divided by n^2. Obviously you cannot do that! You have essentially factored out "[itex]n^2[/itex]" and should have
    [tex]\left(\lim_{n\to\infty}n^2\right)\left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|4- \frac{10}{n}- \frac{6}{n^2}\right|\right)[/tex]

The limit on the right is 4 but the limit on the left is [itex]\infty[/itex]. Their product is "[itex]\infty[/itex]".

9. Jul 21, 2014 #8
    I think there's some confusion about the ratio test. For a series [itex] \sum a_n [/itex], the ratio test is [itex] lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n} [/itex].

This is exactly what I started off with when I saw that you had simplified the series. I start off with

[itex]lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac {(-1)^{n+1} \cdot z^{2 \cdot (2(n+1)+1)})}{(2(n+1)+1)!} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)!}{(-1)^{n} \cdot z^{2 \cdot (2n+1)}} | [/itex]

Since this is an absolute value, the [itex] -1 [/itex] terms can be ignored, and simplifying the exponents of the first fraction, you should see

[itex] lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac {z^{4n+6}}{(2n+3)!} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)!}{z^{4n+2}} | [/itex]

To simplify, observe that [itex] (2n+3)! = (2n+3) \cdot (2n+2) \cdot (2n+1)! [/itex], [itex] z^{4n+6} = z^{4n} \cdot z^6 [/itex] and that [itex] z^{4n+2} = z^{4n} \cdot z^2 [/itex].

So we have

[itex] lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac {z^{4n} \cdot z^6}{(2n+3) \cdot (2n+2) \cdot (2n+1)!} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)!}{z^{4n} \cdot z^2} | [/itex]

The [itex] z^{4n} [/itex]'s and [itex] (2n+1)! [/itex]'s cancel out. You can also factor the remaining z terms. This will leave you with

[itex] \frac {z^6}{z^2} lim_{n \to \infty} \frac 1{(2n+3)(2n+2)} [/itex].

The limit is 0. Interpret this to mean, it does not matter what values you choose for the variable z. Any real number will work. So we have [itex] -\infty < z < \infty [/itex], so the radius of convergence is ∞.

If you like my explanation, be sure to "thank" me (hit the Thanks button). I have 0 "thank"s thus far, and I would like some.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted