Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of Convergence

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1
    Hi folks. I need to find the radius of convergence of this series: [tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(n!)^3z^{3n}}{(3n)!} [/tex]

The thing throwing me off is the [tex]z^{3n}[/tex]. If the series was [tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(n!)^3z^n}{(3n)!} [/tex] I can show it has radius of convergence of zero. But [tex]z^{3n}[/tex] means its only taking power multiples of 3. Does that change anything?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

is the index of summation k or n?

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

The problem can still be solved using the ratio test:
    [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{((n+1)!)^3z^{3n+3}}{(3n+3)!}\times\frac{(n!)^3}{z^{3n}(3n)!}[/tex]
    =[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(n+1)^3z^{3}}{(3n+3)(3n+2)(3n+1)}[/tex]
    Now, being sloppy so that I don't have to write so much, in the limit this is going to be equal to:
    [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(n)^3z^{3}}{27(n)^3}[/tex]
    =[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{z^{3}}{27}[/tex]
    =[tex]\frac{z^{3}}{27}[/tex]
    so, requiring the absolute value of this expression to be less than 1 gives a radius of 3

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  5. Jul 11, 2005 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I got the exact same result, Leonhard, throught D' Alambert's Criterium (ratio test), but given he said a radius of convergence of 0 for z^n, it confused me to what is exactly the index of summation k or n.

6. Jul 11, 2005 #5

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Yeah, I didn't even catch that, but its probably just a mistake.

7. Jul 11, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Modern Logic: The only difference between having z3n instead of zn in the problem is that you will have z3 instead of z in the final formula- Take the cube root. (Let y= z3 so that the sum involves yn.)

However, you are wrong when you say that if the problem involved zn instead of z3n you would get a radius of convergence of 0. As Leonard Euler said, you would get 27 and so for z, the cube root of that, 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?