Proving Radius of Convergence |z_0| = R for Power Series

In summary, using a definition of radius of convergence based on the supremum of the set of r such that the sequence (anrn)n is bounded, it can be shown that if the power series is semi-convergent at a complex number z0, then R = |z0|.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Given the power serie ##\sum_{n\ge 0} a_n z^n##, with radius of convergence ##R##, if there exists a complex number ##z_0## such that the the serie is semi-convergent at ##z_0##, show that ##R = |z_0|##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, since ##\sum_{n\ge 0} a_n z_0^n## is not absolutely convergent, then ## R \le |z_0|##.
Secondly, ##\sum_{n\ge 0} a_n z_0^n## is convergent so ##(a_n z_0^n)_n## is bounded as it tends to zero, so ## |z_0| \le R##.
So ##R = |z_0|##.

Is it correct ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The proof may be missing something.
geoffrey159 said:
Firstly, since ##\sum_{n\ge 0} a_n z_0^n## is not absolutely convergent, then ## R \le |z_0|##.
What is the justification for this statement? Failure to absolutely converge does not entail failure to converge, and radius of convergence delimits the disc on which ordinary convergence happens, not absolute convergence.
Secondly, ##\sum_{n\ge 0} a_n z_0^n## is convergent so ##(a_n z_0^n)_n## is bounded as it tends to zero
I don't recognise the symbol string ##(a_n z_0^n)_n##. What do you intend it to mean?

andrewkirk said:
Failure to absolutely converge does not entail failure to converge, and radius of convergence delimits the disc on which ordinary convergence happens, not absolute convergence.

The radius of convergence delimits the disc where absolute convergence happens, and absolute convergence implies ordinary convergence.
Therefore, if the serie fails to converge absolutely in ##z_0##, which is the case because it is semi-convergent in ##z_0##, then ##R\le |z_0|##

andrewkirk said:
I don't recognise the symbol string ##(a_n z_0^n)_n##. What do you intend it to mean?

I meant the sequence with general term ##u_n = a_nz_0^n##

geoffrey159 said:
Agreed.
geoffrey159 said:
Secondly, ##\sum_{n\ge 0} a_n z_0^n## is convergent so ##(a_n z_0^n)_n## is bounded as it tends to zero, so ## |z_0| \le R##.
I don't understand why the fact that ##(a_n z_0^n)_n## is bounded implies ## |z_0| \le R##.
But the above quote is correct if you remove part of it.

My definition of radius of convergence is the supremum, if it exists, of the set ## S= \{ r \ge 0 \text{ s.t the sequence } (a_n r^n)_n \text{ is bounded }\} ##. Also, for any ##r\in S##, ##[0,r[## is in this set.
With that definition, the serie converges absolutely inside the disc of convergence, and outside the disc of convergence, the sequence ##(a_n z^n)_n## is not bounded .
So if ##(a_n z_0^n)_n## is bounded, then by contraposition, ##|z_0| \le R##.

Likes Samy_A
geoffrey159 said:
My definition of radius of convergence is the supremum, if it exists, of the set ## S= \{ r \ge 0 \text{ s.t the sequence } (a_n r^n)_n \text{ is bounded }\} ##. Also, for any ##r\in S##, ##[0,r[## is in this set.
With that definition, the serie converges absolutely inside the disc of convergence, and outside the disc of convergence, the sequence ##(a_n z^n)_n## is not bounded .
So if ##(a_n z_0^n)_n## is bounded, then by contraposition, ##|z_0| \le R##.
Yes, you are right. I never saw that definition for radius of convergence, but it is equivalent to the one I knew.

Likes geoffrey159
Thank you for looking at it

1. What is the definition of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the values of a variable for which a given function will converge (approach a finite value) when evaluated at those values.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is typically calculated using the Ratio Test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in a series. If this limit is less than 1, then the series will converge and the radius of convergence can be determined from this result.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence provides important information about the convergence behavior of a given function. It can be used to determine the values for which a series or power series will converge, and can also give insight into the behavior of the function near the boundary of the convergence region.

4. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence is always a positive value. This is because it is a measure of distance from the center of a power series, and distance cannot be negative.

5. How does the radius of convergence relate to the behavior of a function?

The radius of convergence is a key factor in determining the convergence behavior of a function. If the value of a variable is within the radius of convergence, the function will converge. If the value is outside the radius, the function will diverge. Additionally, the radius of convergence can give insight into the smoothness and differentiability of a function near the center of the power series.