1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! I'm a little struggling to fully understand the idea of radius of convergence of a function, can somebody help me a little? Are some examples I found in old exams at my university:
    Calculate the radius of convergence of the following power series:
    a) ∑(x-1)j/(2j + 3j)
    b) ∑(1 + j + j2)⋅xj
    c) ∑(2j + 3j)⋅xj

2. Relevant equations

Root test, ratio test

3. The attempt at a solution

So I found a solution for each of them, but I don't know if it's right and I will include a few questions I have here and there:

Let's first see if I get the "methods" right:
    I want to try first the ratio test because the computation is easier. And here is my first question: if lim sup j→∞ |aj+1/aj| = 1, I cannot conclude anything and I should instead run the root test, is that right? Or is the convergence radius R = 1 anyway?

For a), I run the ratio test and get:

aj+1/aj = (2j + 3j)/(2j+1 + 3j+1) = 1/3

That means that R = 3 and that ∑(x-1)j/(2j + 3j) absolutely converges for |x-1| < 3 ⇔ |x| < 4. Is that correct or am I completely missing the point? What does it really mean that the power series converges absolutely for |x| < 4?

b) This time I'm gonna try the root test:

(1 + j + j2)1/j = (j2(1 + (1/j) + (1/j2)))1/j
    = (1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j

I notice that 1 ≤ 1 + (1/j) + (1/j) ≤ 2 for any j ≥ 2, therefore

11/j ≤ (1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j ≤ 21/j
    11/j → 1
    21/j → 1
    (1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j → 1

Therefore R = 1 and ∑(1 + j + j2)⋅xj absolutely converges for |x| < 1.

c) It's very similar to a) so I run the root test this time:

(2j + 3j)1/j = (3j)1/j⋅(1 + (2/3)j)1/j
    = 3⋅(1 + (2/3)j)1/j → 3 because:

11/j ≤ (1 + (2/3)j)1/j ≤ 21/j

Therefore R = 1/3 and ∑(2j + 3j)⋅xj absolutely converges for |x| ≤ 1/3.

Are those right? Any remarks about the topic?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Julien.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For (a): the statement ##|x-1| < 3## is correct, but the statement ##|x| < 4## is wrong.
    In (b) the ratio test would also work, and would be easier.
    (c) is OK.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    Cool thanks. Yeah for a) I quickly realised my mistake that if x is negative, then it would be wrong. Should I just let |x - 1| < 3 then unless the problem specifically asks for |x|?
    For b) I used the root test just to have some variety. About the ratio test, it says on Wikipedia that it does not work in many cases but is vague about which: would you happen to know when? At first I was under the impression that it was when |an+1/an| = 1, but now I think that's not it.

Thank you very much for your answer. :)

Julien.

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

\
    Remember that your series also had an [itex](x- 1)^j[/itex] term. So your ratio is NOT just [itex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|[/itex], it is [itex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|\frac{|x- 1|^{j+1}}{|x- 1|^j}= \left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right||x- 1|[/itex]. The power series converges absolutely if and only if that is less than 1 so if and only if [tex]|x- 1|< \frac{1}{\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|}= \frac{1}{R}[/tex].

|x- 1|< 3 is the same as -3< x- 1< 3. Adding 1 to each part, -2< x< 5. That cannot be written in terms of |x|.

The ratio test will not work for many numerical series. For example, [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty n^3[/tex] does not converge but the ratio test gives [tex]\frac{(n+ 1)^3}{n^3}[/tex] which goes to 1 so the ratio test does not work. For a power series, there will always be some values of x that make it less than 1.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    @HallsofIvy Thank you that was a very clear explanation.

Julien.

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The last inequality should be -2 < x < 4. Geometrically, the inequality |x - 1| < 3 represents the numbers that are within 3 units of 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted