1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radius of curvature

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not exactly a question, but I am trying to understand the derivation of radius of curvature from a boof I'm reading. I would be extremely grateful if someone is able to help me.

2. Relevant equations
    Let u and n be the tangent and normal unit vectors respectively. If r(s) is the path function, we know that:

[tex]\textbf{u}=\frac{d\textbf{r}}{ds}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{d\textbf{u}}{ds}=k\textbf{n}[/tex]

where k is called the curvature.

We can expand r(s) around a certain point:

[tex]\textbf{\textbf{r(s)}}=\textbf{a}+s\frac{d\textbf{r}}{ds}+\frac{1}{2}s^{2}\frac{d^{2}\textbf{r}}{ds^{2}}+...[/tex]

using the equations for u and n:

[tex]\textbf{r(s)}=\textbf{a}+s\textbf{u}+\frac{1}{2}s^{2}k\textbf{n}+...[/tex]

which is the same as:

[tex]\textbf{r(s)}=\textbf{a}+\frac{sin(ks)}{k}\textbf{u}+\frac{1}{k}(1-cos(ks))\textbf{n}+...[/tex]

And from here they conclude that this is the equation of a circle with radius [tex]\frac{1}{k}[/tex], which I don't quite understand. Tried to square it, extract sines and cosins, but still don't understand why this is a circle.

Thanks to advance to whoever is able to help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2
    The parametric equation of a circle is ( a+ Rcosu, b+Rsinu).

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    I'm wondering if your latter equation is well derived. Did you take it from your book?

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4
    Yes, it is from the book and I was able to derive it by myself.

@Eynstone, that accounts only for the sin term, not for the -cos term

6. Mar 29, 2010 #5
  7. Mar 29, 2010 #6
    Oh wait! it's not expressed differently, it's just rearranged so that you can manage to get the radius of curvature, check that first website I handled, and enjoy up to point (31). ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook