Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of Earth at specific angle, need help

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    I was going to post this on Earth-forum here but I thought that you guys here can help me better with this. I'm trying to get the radius of Earth on every latitude degree from 0° to 90°, knowing 0° at Equator is ~6378,137km and 90° at North/South Pole is ~6356,7523km (source Wikipedia). In Wikipedia there is formulas to calculate radius at any angle, but I dont have a clue how to calculate with it. Now to what I'm asking here:
    Can someone please explain to me (one that doesnt have even College education on mathematics) so that I could understand it? Best way to explain would be adding some examples like for 61° and 34°?

Now, I have been struggling with this for a very very long time, and I am already being really thankful for the one that explains this to me.

Wikipedia article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_radius#Radius_at_a_given_geodetic_latitude

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No college math needed here, just how to use a calculator! The applicable formula is the first:
    "The distance from the Earth's center to a point on the spheroid surface at geodetic latitude"
    [tex]R= \sqrt{\frac{(a^2cos(\phi))^2+ (b^2sin(\phi))^2}{(acos(\phi))^2+ (bsin(\phi))^2}}[/tex]
    And you are given that a= 6,378.1370, b= 6,356.7523.

So if, for example, [itex]\phi= 61^o[/itex], [itex]cos(\phi)= cos(61)= 0.4848096[/itex] and [itex]sin(\phi)= sin(61)= 0.8746197[/itex].

So [itex]a^2cos(\phi)= 19722361[/itex], [itex]b^2sin(\phi)= 35341895[/itex], [itex]acos(\phi)= 3092.182[/itex], and [itex]bsin(\phi)= 5559.741[/itex] where I have rounded to 7 significant figures. Can you finish?

4. Jan 24, 2012 #3
    I'm afraid and really sorry, but I think I cant finish, haha. I put numbers you had calculated on formula and I keep having number 435114,36..., double-checked. Thank you very much for the your explain this far, I get it to the point you have calculated it, but I'm afraid I have to ask you to tell me how to finish it?

5. Jan 24, 2012 #4
    Oh, now I got it right, THANK YOU very very much, I'll be thankful for you for really long time!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook