1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of electron trajectory

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electrons (mass m, charge –e) are accelerated from rest through a potential difference V and are then deflected by a magnetic field B that is perpendicular to their velocity. Find the radius of the resulting electron trajectory.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F=\dfrac{mv^2}{r}[/tex] [tex]F=qvB[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start with this. The electron moves through the potential difference, and presumably gains kinetic energy, but I don't know how to express this in the equations above to get an answer.

Help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2
    I am assuming that the e is accelerated through a gap across which there is a potential difference V. What is the width of the gap?

4. Nov 18, 2012 #3
    That's all the info I'm given; I've literally copied and pasted the question.

I'm not being asked to give a numerical answer though. It's a multiple choice question, and this is apparantly the answer:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2mV/e}}{B}[/tex]

5. Nov 18, 2012 #4
    The p.d. gives an energy of Ve to the electron.

From this one can find the resulting velocity of the electron.

6. Nov 18, 2012 #5
    Aha! Got it. Thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook