Finding the Radius of Gyration of a Racquet?

In summary: So if you are trying to rotate the racquet quickly around a vertical axis, rotating it around the y-axis would be better. In summary, the radius of gyration of a racquet around the line x = -1 is greater if it is rotated around the y-axis than if it is rotated around the x-axis.
justagirl
Radius of Gyration? REALLY need help ASAP!

Hey -

If any of you can help me with the following problem asap that would be awesome!

A racquet consists of uniform lamina that occupies the region inside the right-hand loop of r^2 = cos 2theta on the end of a handle (assumed to be of neglible mass) corresponding to the interval -1<=x<=0. Find the radius of gyration of the racquet around the line x = -1. Where is its sweet spot?

I know the radius of gyration around the y-axis can be found by the using the formula: radius of g = sqrt(Inertia around y-axis / mass)

Is this the correct formula for mass?

m = int(0...pi/4)int (0...sqrt(cos2theta) r cos theta r dr dtheta?

If so, how would revolving it around the line x = -1 instead of x = 0 change it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rotating about x=0 would give you give different moment than rotating around x=-1 and different moment of inertia.

I think the limits of integration for theta are [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

IIRC, you want to find the center of mass of the racquet. The sweet spot is at the center of mass where the maximum transfer of momentum would occur.

Last edited:
justagirl said:

I know the radius of gyration around the y-axis can be found by the using the formula: radius of g = sqrt(Inertia around y-axis / mass)

Also consider doing this using the formulas for an area rather than a mass:
[tex]R=\sqrt{\frac{I_{x}}{A}}[/tex]
where [itex]I_{x}[/itex] is the moment of inertia of the area relative to the x axis.

Last edited:
Correction - the limits of [tex]\theta[/tex] are [tex]-\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]. Been awhile since I have done this stuff - I should have graphed it first.

The first step is to find the mass moment of inertia [tex]I_c[/tex] with respect to the area's center of mass (remembering that the handle is massless).

Then the moment of inertia through a parallel axis is just [tex] I = I_c + md^2 [/tex], where [tex]m[/tex] is the mass of the area in question, and [tex]d[/tex] is the distance between the centroid (center of mass of the area) and axis about which the object would rotate.

So the handle goes from -1 to 0, and the lamina goes between 0 to 1. Let the distance from x=0 to the lamina centroid by [tex]d_c[/tex], then [tex]d\,=\,1\,+\,d_c[/tex]

Then once you know [tex]I[/tex],

radius of gyration g = [tex] \sqrt{\frac{I}{m}} [/tex].

If the axis of rotation was the y-axis (x=0), then [tex]d\,=\,d_c[/tex], and the radius of gyration would be less.

Remember, the greater the moment arm the more resistance to rotation, i.e. it would take more torque to get the same angular velocity.

Last edited:

What is the radius of gyration?

The radius of gyration is a measure of the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation. It is the distance from the axis at which the mass of an object can be concentrated without changing its moment of inertia.

How is the radius of gyration calculated?

The radius of gyration can be calculated by taking the square root of the ratio of an object's moment of inertia to its mass. It is represented by the symbol "k" and is often used to describe the rotational motion of objects.

What factors affect the radius of gyration?

The radius of gyration is affected by the distribution of mass and the shape of an object. Objects with more mass distributed further from the axis of rotation will have a larger radius of gyration.

What is the significance of the radius of gyration in physics?

The radius of gyration is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict how objects will rotate and behave under different conditions. It is also used in the design and analysis of various mechanical systems.

How does the radius of gyration differ from the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions, while the radius of gyration is a measure of the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation. The center of mass is a single point, while the radius of gyration is a distance.