1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of Gyration

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    Hey Guys,

I having trouble with understanding radius of gyration, could someone please explain what it is? I have just never understood it's full meaning. So for example, the radius of gyration of a spinning wheel of a car is ....some value... What does that mean?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For an area, A, with an area moment of inertia of I, the radius of gyration, r, is [itex]r = \sqrt {I/A}[/itex].
    For a mass, m, with a mass moment of inertia of I, the radius of gyration, k, is [itex]k = \sqrt{I/m} [/itex].
    In either case, it represents the distance of an equivalent line area or point mass , respectively, to the axis about which the moment of inertia is taken, to yield an equivalent moment of inertia. For example, a thin rod of length L has a mass moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to one end of mL2/3. It's radius of gyration is thus [itex]L/\sqrt 3 [/itex], which implies that a point mass located a distance [itex]L/\sqrt 3 [/itex] from the end has the same moment of inertia (I = mr2 = mL2/3).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook