Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of Photon?

1. Dec 30, 2003 #1
    Does the Photon have a Radius in which its energy (hv) is contained?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2003 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

do other waves or particles have a radius in which there energy is conserved? i shouldnt think that photons would if other particles or waves dont.
  4. Dec 30, 2003 #3
    Ok, lets simplify things?

It is generally given that a photon moves from a mass-point to another mass-point, it communicates from matter to matter. At what distance is the energy of a photon contained within a Packet of space?

The particle-wave duality confines you to make observations of either a particle(packet/quanta) or the same energy spread over?.. and as travelling between two points as a wave.

If you confine yourself to the wave principle, then this wave propergates over a distance, measured by its wavelength. Can you confine this wavelength in situ between two mass-points? For instance if you have a chamber where at one end you have an atom that will accept a single photon, and at the other you have an atom that will emmit a single photon.

Does the photon spread out on its way from one atom to the other? if so does the frequency of the Energy change in any way?

Another thing one needs to ask?, is for Parametric downconvertion, the photons are slowed down within a trapping area, if a photon has no size?.. then how can it be confined within a specific area?

I ask again, what is the radius of a photon in flight?..if any.
  5. Dec 31, 2003 #4
    I ask again, what is the radius of a photon in flight?..if any.

What is the sound of one hand clapping?*

Hmmm A photon...Eberywhere at once and a ZRM particle..............
    OK , Got it........> 10^35m and <Ho at t=0
    That close enuf?
  6. Jan 1, 2004 #5
    I'm inclined to think you will get several different answers to this. I would conjecture that the radius is continually changing in flight, and you would have to place an element of time in your question.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  7. Jan 7, 2004 #6
    A better question: is it possible to MEASURE the size of a photon, and if so, what were the results?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?