Radius of proton motion in Magnetic field

In summary, you calculated the radii of the spiral paths of 0.1-MeV, 1-MeV, and 10-MeV protons in the van Allen belts using the following equations:K = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}v=\sqrt{\frac{2K}{m}}r=\frac{mv}{qB}
gills

Homework Statement

ou're taking a class in space weather physics. Space weather deals with the dynamics of the far upper atmosphere and the magnetic regions surrounding the Earth. You're preparing a term paper on the van Allen belts, regions where high-energy particles are trapped in the Earth's magnetic field. Your textbook says the magnetic field strength at the belts is 0.1 G. To impress your professor, you calculate the radii of the spiral paths of 0.1-MeV, 1-MeV, and 10-MeV protons in the van Allen belts.

What values do you get for r(0.1 MeV), r(1 MeV), and r(10 MeV) in km?

Homework Equations

K = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]

F[tex]_{B}[/tex] = m[tex]\vec{a}[/tex] = m[tex]\frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex] = q[tex]\vec{v}[/tex] x [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting the same values, but the mastering physics answers are different.

First I convert the MeV values into Joules which =

0.1 MeV = 100,000eV = 1.6*10[tex]^{-14}[/tex] J
1MeV = 1.6*10[tex]^{-13}[/tex] J
10MeV = 1.6*10[tex]^{-12}[/tex] J

then knowing the energy each proton has, we can find the velocities from:
K = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]
v=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2K}{m}}[/tex]

then knowing the velocities, we solve for the radius using Lorentz eq.:

r = [tex]\frac{mv}{qB}[/tex]

and from this I'm getting:

r(0.1 MeV) = 3.847 km
r(1 MeV) = 12.13 km
r(10 MeV) = 38.5 km

The mastering physics answers are:
4.6 km
14.0 km
46.0 km respectively

Is there something that I'm forgetting in my eq's? Should I be considering gravitational potential energy because the particle is at an altitude above the surface of the earth?

i actually tried this with some basic research on the altitude of the Van Allen belt where protons are, but the range I found was very large, and the velocities ended up being almost identical.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're using the right mass for a proton, or converting G into T? My answer for the first one matches the Mastering Physics answer.

Snazzy said:
Are you sure you're using the right mass for a proton, or converting G into T? My answer for the first one matches the Mastering Physics answer.

I have a feeling I'm making a stupid mistake.

Mass proton = 1.67 * 10[tex]^{-27}[/tex] kg

0.1G = 0.00001 T = 1 * 10[tex]^{-5}[/tex] T

is that what you're using?

Snazzy said:

I have a feeling I'm making a stupid mistake.

Mass proton = 1.67 * 10[tex]^{-27}[/tex]

0.1G = 0.00001 T = 1 * 10[tex]^{-5}[/tex] T

q = 1.9 * 10[tex]^{-19}[/tex] C

is that what you're using?

gills said:
q = 1.9 * 10[tex]^{-19}[/tex] C

:rolleyes:

YUP! the same crap i do on my exams!

1. What is the radius of proton motion in a magnetic field?

The radius of proton motion in a magnetic field is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the speed of the proton. It can be calculated using the formula r = m*v/(q*B), where r is the radius, m is the mass of the proton, v is its speed, q is its charge, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How does the radius of proton motion change with the strength of the magnetic field?

The radius of proton motion is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the radius of proton motion also increases. This relationship is described by the formula r ∝ B.

3. How does the radius of proton motion change with the speed of the proton?

The radius of proton motion is inversely proportional to the speed of the proton. This means that as the speed of the proton increases, the radius of proton motion decreases. This relationship is described by the formula r ∝ 1/v.

4. What is the role of the magnetic field in determining the radius of proton motion?

The magnetic field is responsible for creating a force on the proton, causing it to move in a circular path. The strength of the magnetic field determines the magnitude of this force, which in turn determines the radius of proton motion.

5. Can the radius of proton motion be manipulated by changing the magnetic field?

Yes, the radius of proton motion can be manipulated by changing the strength of the magnetic field. By increasing or decreasing the magnetic field, the radius of proton motion can be adjusted accordingly. This is often used in particle accelerators to control the motion of charged particles.