1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of the track

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car travels a distance of 745 m along a circular track, and the driver finds that she has traveled through an angle of 475°. What is the radius of the track?

2. Relevant equations
    None that I know. The only thing I know is that the track is circular

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used an example in my texbook which was identical to this one except the distance was 750 m and the angle was 450.

First I :
    750/4=187.5( The 4 is from the 4 different quadrants)

Then I:
    187.5/2=93.75------>94m

The solution in the back of the book said that the answer was 95 m but I'm not to sure if this is the right procedure.

This is the last homework problem that I have to complete before I turn it in before midnight.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to know that the length of the arc of a circle is proportional to the angle.
    360° corresponds to the total circumference C of the circle. 475° angle corresponds to 745 m, so C/745=360°/475°. Calculate C. How is the circumference related to the radius?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook