1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radon price: $4/m ?

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1
    Radon price: $4/m ??

I'm doing some research on Radon. I have to put together a PowerPoint presentation that describes its origins, properties, characteristics, etc. (Each student was assigned a different element.)

One piece of information I'm required to report on is current price to purchase a sample of the element. I have found only one source that mentions a purchase price for Radon, and it says "Radon can be purchased for approximately $4/m." - without further explanation.

What is "m"?? I assume it must be a unit of volume or mass, but if so I'm not familiar with it.

Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmmmm metre, that well known unit of mass... :smile:

Can we see the source?
  4. Mar 31, 2005 #3
    Yes, of course! Sorry, I should have posted that.

The actual quote is "Radon is available at a cost of about $4/m."

edit: That same source has a table above the text which states that the cost is "$/100g" (no numeric value is given).
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  5. Mar 31, 2005 #4
    Hmmm... I just found another source that says: "Radon is available at a cost of about $4/m Ci."

I know that Ci is a Curie, measuring radioactivity. Could "m Ci" mean mCi: a milli-Curie?

edit: second source is http://www.speclab.com/elements/radon.htm
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  6. Mar 31, 2005 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be right.

7. Mar 31, 2005 #6
    Woohoo! That makes a lot more sense than "m"!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?