Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radon price: $4/m ?

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1
    Radon price: $4/m ??

I'm doing some research on Radon. I have to put together a PowerPoint presentation that describes its origins, properties, characteristics, etc. (Each student was assigned a different element.)

One piece of information I'm required to report on is current price to purchase a sample of the element. I have found only one source that mentions a purchase price for Radon, and it says "Radon can be purchased for approximately $4/m." - without further explanation.

What is "m"?? I assume it must be a unit of volume or mass, but if so I'm not familiar with it.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmmmm metre, that well known unit of mass... :smile:

Can we see the source?

4. Mar 31, 2005 #3
    Yes, of course! Sorry, I should have posted that.

The actual quote is "Radon is available at a cost of about $4/m."

http://www.scescape.net/~woods/elements/radon.html [Broken]

edit: That same source has a table above the text which states that the cost is "$/100g" (no numeric value is given).

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  5. Mar 31, 2005 #4
    Hmmm... I just found another source that says: "Radon is available at a cost of about $4/m Ci."

I know that Ci is a Curie, measuring radioactivity. Could "m Ci" mean mCi: a milli-Curie?

edit: second source is http://www.speclab.com/elements/radon.htm

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  6. Mar 31, 2005 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be right.

AM

7. Mar 31, 2005 #6
    Woohoo! That makes a lot more sense than "m"!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook