1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Railgun force help

1. Sep 24, 2004 #1
    Hi all.

I've been trying to nut out an expression for the force on the projectile

( i hope you have an understanding of the basic structure of a railgun, i don't want to draw it)

Anyway, i is known, w is the rail seperation, and R is the circular rail's radius.

F(x) = i B(x) dx
    (the scalar magnitudes of F and B, we know what the directions are of course)

So we need to integrate across the whole length of the projectile, w
    [tex]
    |\vec{B}(x)| = \frac{i \mu_0}{2 \pi}(\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{-x+R+w})
    [/tex]

at any point distance x along the gap

Thus,

[tex]

|\vec{F}| = \frac{i^2 \mu_0}{2 \pi} \int_{w}^{0} \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{-x+R+w} dx

[/tex]

And ultimately get...

[tex]

\frac{i^2 \mu_0}{\pi} log(\frac{r}{r+w})
    [/tex]

Does this look right?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2004 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first part of your setup looks reasonable. You are approximating the current-carrying wire as two infinite "line currents" at the center of the wire. Then you are cutting the result in half, assuming that the line currents are really "half a line".

This is good for manetostatic applications. For the pulsed environment of the railgun it may not be accurate, but I can't come up with a better approximation.

I have a bit of a problem with the limits in

[tex]
    |\vec{F}| = \frac{i^2 \mu_0}{2 \pi} \int_{w}^{0} \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{-x+R+w} dx
    [/tex]

though, it seems to me that the intergal should start at R/2 and go to R/2+w

This will change ln(r/(r+w)) to ln(r/(r+2w))

Also, if you want the force to be positive, it should be ln(1+2w/r).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook