Railgun Plasma Plume: What Causes it & How Long Does it Last?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a video of the US navy test firing a rail gun and the presence of a plasma plume following the projectile. The participants discuss possible explanations for the plasma plume, including electrical energy passing through the rails, leftover magnetic charge on the projectile, and the velocity of the projectile against the atmosphere. They also mention the duration of the plasma plume and request a video link for reference. It is suggested that the plasma plume may be remnants of the "shot cup" or a bridge wire used for launching.
breadloaf
Hi,

I've seen a video of the US navy test firing a rail gun and in the video there is a plasma plume that follows the projectile. I am unsure of what exactly is causing the plasma plume... specifically:

• Is it the electrical energy passing through the rails that ignites the air and causes the plasma?
  • Is it leftover magnetic charge on the projectile that ignites the air as it moves and causes the plasma plume?
  • I'm guessing it is not merely due to the velocity of the projectile but is mach 7 enough to cause just the friction of the projectile against the atmosphere to cause a plasma plume?

And also, for how long would one expect there to be a plasma plume following the projectile?

Physics news on Phys.org
1] How do you know it's a plasma plume?
2] If you could link to a video, we could see what you are talking about.

Damned thing won't play for me. :grumpy:
My first thought would be that it's remnants of the "shot cup". With non-magnetic projectiles, a railgun vapourizes a sample of something that is then accelerated and pushes the payload ahead of it. Perhaps the power used in this case is sufficient to turn the material into a plasma rather than just a gas? I don't know a lot about the subject, though.

edit: Sorry... I generalized. In some cases, an actual open-ended container is used for a non-reactive warhead, something like a saboted bullet in a firearm. What I was talking about is a bridge wire (which I think is copper) that the launching current passes through and detonates before magnetizing the rails.

Last edited:

1. What is a railgun plasma plume?

A railgun plasma plume is a dense, high-temperature cloud of charged particles that is created when a railgun fires. It is a natural byproduct of the intense electrical and magnetic forces involved in the firing process.

2. What causes a railgun plasma plume?

The intense electrical and magnetic forces involved in the firing process of a railgun cause the breakdown of air molecules into their constituent atoms, creating a hot, ionized gas known as plasma. This plasma forms a plume as it expands rapidly and is pushed out of the railgun barrel.

3. How long does a railgun plasma plume last?

The duration of a railgun plasma plume depends on several factors, such as the energy of the railgun, the properties of the projectile, and the surrounding environment. On average, a railgun plasma plume can last anywhere from a few milliseconds to a few seconds.

4. Can a railgun plasma plume be controlled?

While the initial formation of a railgun plasma plume cannot be controlled, scientists are researching ways to manipulate and steer the plume to improve the performance and accuracy of railguns. This could potentially be achieved through the use of magnetic fields or other external forces.

5. Is a railgun plasma plume dangerous?

Railgun plasma plumes are generally considered safe as long as proper precautions are taken. However, they can still be potentially hazardous due to their high temperatures and ionization. It is important for those working with railguns to follow safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear to prevent any potential harm.