Railroad car Velocity Question

• Thread starter relative rebound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Velocity
In summary, the question involves a man of weight w standing on a railroad flatcar of weight W, moving with a velocity v. The man runs to the left with a relative speed Vrel before jumping off the left end. Using the conservation of momentum, we can solve for the new velocity of the car, which will be increased due to the man's running.
relative rebound
As i was doing a chapter review, I came across this question. I have tried to solve it, to now avail, I do not know where to begin. :confused: No solution was given in the textbook, and I would like to know how to solve it. Thanks for taking your time to help me.

Question:
A railroad flatcar of weight W can roll without friction along a straight horizontal track.. A man of weight w is standing on the car, which is moving to the right with a speed v. What is the change in the velocity of the car if the man runs to the left so that his speed relative to the car is Vrel just before he jumps off the left end?

Attachments

• Flatbed.jpg
    Flatbed.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a momentum question. The momentum of the system is conserved, so:

v(W + w) = uW + (u - Vrel)w

Where:
v - velocity of the car before the man started running
W - the weight of the car
w - the weight of the man
u - velocity of the car once the man is running
Vrel - relative velocity of the man and car

All you have to do is solve for u.

When I solve for u, i get

u = vo + (Vrelw) / (W + W)

I assume you meant to divide by (W + w). If so, then yes. You can see that the speed of the car increased. That is because the man "pushed" the car when he began to run, thereby accelerating it further.

Thanks for your help...It is much appreciated. I understand now.

1. How is the velocity of a railroad car calculated?

The velocity of a railroad car is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. What factors can affect the velocity of a railroad car?

The velocity of a railroad car can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the car, the condition of the tracks, the slope of the tracks, and any external forces such as wind resistance or friction.

3. How does the velocity of a railroad car impact its braking distance?

The higher the velocity of a railroad car, the longer the braking distance will be. This is because the car will have more kinetic energy that needs to be dissipated in order to come to a stop.

4. Can the velocity of a railroad car be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of a railroad car can be controlled by adjusting the throttle and braking systems. However, external factors such as slope and wind resistance can also affect the car's velocity.

5. How does the velocity of a railroad car affect its fuel consumption?

The velocity of a railroad car directly affects its fuel consumption. The faster the car travels, the more fuel it will consume. This is because the car needs more energy to maintain a higher velocity.