Counting Raindrops in Wichita, KS

• Thread starter moe7404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, Moe from Wichita, KS is looking for a different way to measure rainfall. He proposes a square plexiglass box with intersecting beams to count the number of raindrops in a certain amount of time. However, this method would require knowledge of the average volume of a raindrop, which varies greatly. The conversation also discusses alternative methods such as using a sensitive scale or a standard rain gauge for calibration. Additionally, Moe's idea could potentially measure rainfall second by second, which is not possible with current methods.
moe7404
moe in wichita ks
how many drops are in 1 inch of rain on a 1 inch dia tube?
of course iam guessing that all rain drops are the same size, which most likely they are not. sounds the like this is going to have a lot averages in the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer comes down to: what is the volume of an average water drop? I don't know if there is a scientifically accepted, standard water-drop volume. You might try an online search and see what you can find.

The container volume is

[tex]
\frac{\pi}{4} \ in^3 = 0.785 \ in^3
= 12.9 \ cm^3 = 12.9 \ ml
[/tex]

so to get the number of drops, divide the container volume by the average volume of a drop.

moe in wichita ks
thanks to redbelly98 for crunching some numbers, that's a big help.
the reason i am asking this Q is that i am thinking of making a different way to measure rain fall. my idea is have a square plexaglass box with a set beams going across two different ways, and count the number of broken beams in a certin length of time. what think? thanks for any help

moe7404 said:
moe in wichita ks
thanks to redbelly98 for crunching some numbers, that's a big help.
the reason i am asking this Q is that i am thinking of making a different way to measure rain fall. my idea is have a square plexaglass box with a set beams going across two different ways, and count the number of broken beams in a certin length of time. what think? thanks for any help
That would certainly give you a more accurate measure of how many rain drops fall, assuming of course that the 'mesh' of beams is sufficiently fine. However, I'm not sure that knowing how many raindrops fell in addition to the total volume of water would be more useful than simply measuring the total height of water.

I'm also intrigued as to why you would chose a cubic box over a cylindrical tube?

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
That would certainly give you a more accurate measure of how many rain drops fall, assuming of course that the 'mesh' of beams is sufficiently fine. However, I'm not sure that knowing how many raindrops fell in addition to the total volume of water would be more useful than simply measuring the total height of water.

I'm also intrigued as to why you would chose a cubic box over a cylindrical tube?
Because his two sets of beams are perpendicular. He's making a square grid.

moe7404 said:
moe in wichita ks
my idea is have a square plexaglass box with a set beams going across two different ways, and count the number of broken beams in a certin length of time. what think? thanks for any help
As Hoot points out, of what use to anyone is the number of raindrops? Surely the volume of water over time is the only relevant factor, or are you looking to offer this as a new feature in rainfall measurements?

BTW, how do you account for a raindrop breaking more than one beam (while still ensuring the grid's fine enough to not let any drops fall through the gaps)?

"I'm not sure that knowing how many raindrops fell in addition to the total volume of water would be more useful than simply measuring the total height of water."

"...of what use to anyone is the number of raindrops..."

maybe he doesn't want to empty the rain gage -

Such a gauge would give you an "instantaneous" reading of the rainfall rate. It would also allow one to measure very small rainfalls such as 0.01".

Moe, rather than calculating the number of raindrops based on some assumed average volume, it would be better to calibrate the device after building it. Just test it against a standard raingauge, and see how many drops are counted vs. the height of the water in the gauge. This way, any systematic errors get accounted for, eg. what if only 90% of the drops are detected?

Rain drop size varies a LOT, in a mist the drops are tiny much less then a mm. In a drizzle they tend to vary but generally bigger then a mist but smaller then rain. When a major storm dumps the drops can be huge, several mm in dia. Not sure how you can use a drop count for tracking rainfall when there is so much variation.

moe in wichita ks
i thank you all for your ideas. my first idea was just to have a different way to measure rain fall. if it could be made to work its main advantage would be measuring would be done second by second, and not having a moving part. but you points are well taken, the main one being that rain drops are all kinds of sizes. i thank you all for your ideas. i really love this site. thanks

You could get some piece of metal or plastic and when it rains pick up the water with an eyedropper. Or better yet get a very sensitive scale and measure weight as some drops fall on it. Then you can easily get volume through mass and density.

moe7404 said:
its main advantage would be measuring would be done second by second,
Huh. Now that's a new feature. :!) The acme of rainfall measurement science today is only able to measure after-the-fact.

moe7404 said:
moe in wichita ks
how many drops are in 1 inch of rain on a 1 inch dia tube?
of course iam guessing that all rain drops are the same size, which most likely they are not. sounds the like this is going to have a lot averages in the answer.

My suggestion for finding the most common size for a drop of water, would be to have a flat surface (like the ceiling of a shower) if you use steam in the shower, water will build up and at a point the volume builds and breaks away, producing a drop based on density.

I don't remember the web sites, but more than one agreed that an average of around 25 drops would equal 1ml.

Ron

1. How do you count raindrops?

Counting raindrops is a complex process that involves using specialized equipment such as rain gauges or disdrometers. These devices collect and measure the number of raindrops that fall in a given area over a specific period of time. Scientists also use mathematical models to estimate the total number of raindrops in a larger area based on the data collected from these devices.

2. Why is it important to count raindrops in Wichita, KS?

Counting raindrops in specific locations, such as Wichita, KS, is important for understanding and predicting weather patterns. This information can be used to assess the effectiveness of current weather forecasting models, as well as to make more accurate predictions for future weather events. Additionally, tracking raindrop measurements over time can provide valuable data for climate change research.

3. How do you determine the size of raindrops?

The size of raindrops can be determined using a variety of methods, including photography, video analysis, and laser technology. These methods allow scientists to measure the diameter, volume, and velocity of individual raindrops. By combining these measurements with the total number of raindrops, scientists can calculate the average size of raindrops in a given location.

4. What factors can affect the number of raindrops in Wichita, KS?

The number of raindrops in Wichita, KS can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, humidity, wind speed, and the presence of clouds or air pollution. These factors can affect the formation and growth of raindrops, as well as the amount and intensity of rainfall. Therefore, it is important for scientists to consider these factors when counting raindrops and analyzing weather patterns.

5. How does counting raindrops contribute to scientific research?

Counting raindrops is an essential part of scientific research in the fields of meteorology, hydrology, and climate science. By collecting and analyzing data on raindrops, scientists can better understand the Earth's water cycle, weather patterns, and climate changes. This information can also be used to improve weather forecasting, inform agricultural practices, and mitigate the impacts of severe weather events.