Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rain producing machine invented this year

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    !!!Israel's rain producing machine invented this year!!!

Yesterday I was watching Spanish news announcing that Israel scientists have invented a machine that produces artificial clouds with rain!!!!. Israel scientists say they will use it for places in Israel where there is severe drought. Is this the first signs of Type I Civilization as mention in many books including in one of Mr. Kaku's about a Type I Civilization able to manipulate the weather? What do you think?!?!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Please don't double post.
  4. Jan 16, 2004 #3
    Oops, I double post because I did not remember I had post another the same , Entschuldigung
  5. Jan 29, 2004 #4
    Do you have a link to the story? I have searched in vain trying to get more information, but have not found any?:wink:
  6. Jan 30, 2004 #5
    I'll try to find some more information today
  7. Jan 30, 2004 #6

Science Advisor

This Topic exists in several Forums, but this one seems the most appropriate. So, I will cut my reply from the "Quantum Revolution" Forum, and paste it here:

Here's an artical but it says the device is under developement, and has not actually made rain yet. From the description, it sounds like good old-fashioned cloud-seeding. There is mention of a prototype that has generated some clouds, but from the context it sounds like that was in the lab. After seeding the air to form clouds, it appears they then hope to send an ellectrical charge through the clouds to ionise the water droplets, making them clump to gether and fall.

I'm not sure wether or not I hope for them to succeed. It would be nice to see the Negev become a more habitable and crop-friendly area, but what will happen to the sarounding regions? IIRC, we've had a few cloud-seeding programs here in the States, and the problem it always raised was that whatever moisture we caused to fall in one area was water that wasn't going to make it to somewhere else.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?