Can a Lens Create a Rainbow from a Broad Beam of Light?

In summary, the width of the beam of light does not affect the production of a spectrum with a prism, but coherence is important. It may be possible to use a lens with high amounts of transverse chromatic aberration to create a rainbow from a broad beam at a fixed distance. This has been attempted in the past for a hyperspectral imager.
notnow
In standard experiment with prism, you can create a rainbow from a thin beam of white light. Is it possible to design a lens that will create a rainbow from a broad beam? Even if it is only at a fixed distance from the lens?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the purpose of the thin slit is to produce light which is coherent. As far as producing a spectrum with a prism is concerned, I don't think the width of the beam of light makes much of a difference, but the coherence is important.

I may be wrong the second point though.

notnow said:
In standard experiment with prism, you can create a rainbow from a thin beam of white light. Is it possible to design a lens that will create a rainbow from a broad beam? Even if it is only at a fixed distance from the lens?

I suppose- if you use a lens with huge amounts of transverse chromatic aberration. Three lifetimes ago, I was part of a pilot project to use a 'crappy' lens (large amounts of longitudinal chromatic aberration) to make a hyperspectral imager.

1. What is a "Rainbow from broad beam"?

A "Rainbow from broad beam" is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light is refracted and dispersed by water droplets in the atmosphere, creating a spectrum of colors visible to the human eye.

2. How does a "Rainbow from broad beam" form?

A "Rainbow from broad beam" forms when sunlight passes through water droplets in the air, causing the light to be refracted and dispersed into its component colors. The water droplets act like tiny prisms, separating the white light into its visible spectrum.

3. What are the colors of a "Rainbow from broad beam"?

The colors of a "Rainbow from broad beam" are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. These are the same colors that make up the visible spectrum of light.

4. Can a "Rainbow from broad beam" be seen from any angle?

No, a "Rainbow from broad beam" can only be seen from a specific angle. The angle between the observer, the sunlight, and the water droplets must be around 42 degrees for a rainbow to be visible.

5. Are "Rainbows from broad beam" always the same shape and size?

No, the shape and size of a "Rainbow from broad beam" can vary depending on the size and shape of the water droplets in the air, as well as the angle at which the light is hitting the droplets. They can also appear as full circles in certain circumstances, such as when viewed from an airplane.