Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Rainbows on Tatooine

1. Sep 11, 2017 #1
    I know it did not rain on Tatooine and the planet does not exist.

My question is would a rainbow look like on a planet in a binary star system?

Assume that it does rain, the raindrops come in a broad range of sizes including some showers with fairly uniform drop size, and that there is an atmosphere with similar density and light scattering as earth.

I expect that blue stars will have more intense blue bands and red stars create more intense red. Is that always correct?

I believe the rainbow would be identical to a rainbow on earth at the point where the bow's tangent line is parallel to the line connecting the stars. I am not sure what happens on the rest of the arc. Would it look like a reflection rainbow. Except that the arcs would not converge at the horizon.
    triple-rainbow-450x450.jpg

It is also not clear to me what supernumary rainbows would look like. They are created by an interference pattern but does that mean a binary star system has more of them, less, or relatively the same?

w-033-03.jpg

Feel free to add any ideas on what effect a different atmosphere would have.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It also depends on the atmosphere, but in general: sure.

Multiple stars in the sky simply lead to multiple independent rainbows. If their brightness ratio is large, it will be hard to see rainbows from the dimmer star.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted