Raising chickens

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I thought I'd start this thread to keep Evo posted on her chickens progress.

Baby chicks first picture
[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33980&d=1301871732 [Broken]

Chickens as of today (>½ grown)
attachment.php?attachmentid=35562&stc=1&d=1305404397.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

rhody
Gold Member

Rhody's perhaps ?

Rhody... :redface: :biggrin:

Evo
Mentor

Aww, thanks Don!! Roger is soooo adorable!

I came here looking for why the chickens cross the road :blushing:.

Borek
Mentor

I hoped for a chick pictures - can't say there were none.

jtbell
Mentor

How about some chick flicks?

What are you going to do with these? Cause I'm kinda hungry...

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Roger is soooo adorable!
Yea. And she's got that Evo look. :!!)

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

What are you going to do with these? Cause I'm kinda hungry...
308046.jpg

Need I say more?

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member

I came here looking for why the chickens cross the road :blushing:.
lol.

They look so cute and healthy!

Chickens are so funny! I want chickens too! big ones!

though, one thing I dont get is, why do they still lay eggs if the eggs are not fertilised? it doesnt make biological sense!

Borek
Mentor

though, one thing I dont get is, why do they still lay eggs if the eggs are not fertilised? it doesnt make biological sense!
In their normal environment they are being constantly sexually harassed by cocks, in effect there is no such thing as not fertilized egg. In other words - mechanism that would stop lying eggs would not give them any evolutionary benefits.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

In their normal environment they are being constantly sexually harassed by cocks, in effect there is no such thing as not fertilized egg. In other words - mechanism that would stop lying eggs would not give them any evolutionary benefits.
Not only that, they know what could happen if they don't lay eggs.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I love chicken and dumplings :!!)

Evo
Mentor

I love chicken and dumplings :!!)
Bisquick fluffy cloud dumplings. Not the noodles.

Funny how there are two camps for dumplings. On the TV show, Top Chef, one contestant was to make one of Jimmy Fallon's favorite foods, and one chef got "chicken & dumplings". She made the flat noodle type and he hated it. Jimmy liked the fluffy round dumplings, so the judge told her real dumplings are soft fluffy round puffs, not flat noodle type things, and she almost had to leave the show.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

A "townie" work colleague of mine moved to a house with a big garden, and decided to keep some chickens. Everything went fine, till the egg production started to dwindle and they decided to eat one of them when some friends were visiting.

This was a complete disaster - effectively, raw chicken foir dinner. The guy didn't realize that a chicken that has spent its life running around outside has a lot more muscle and a lot less fat than one bought from a supermarket!

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

A "townie" work colleague of mine moved to a house with a big garden, and decided to keep some chickens. Everything went fine, till the egg production started to dwindle and they decided to eat one of them when some friends were visiting.

This was a complete disaster - effectively, raw chicken foir dinner. The guy didn't realize that a chicken that has spent its life running around outside has a lot more muscle and a lot less fat than one bought from a supermarket!
Years ago when I still had a lot of "townie" in me, it wasn't a old hen but a old rooster. Live and learn I guess. :redface:

btw It was well cooked but had the consistency of my shoe sole.

Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Rhody's perhaps ?

Rhody... :redface: :biggrin:
Yep, they look like a Rhody-Sussex cross..
Our hens were out free ranging, having a great ol' time, kicking up leaves
looking for grubs. A notagoshawk swooped down an ate one of our Rhody's. :frown:

Last edited:
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

looking for grubs. A notagoshawk swooped down an ate one of our Rhody's. :frown:
I haven't gotten around to making a predator proof cage outside the coop yet so they haven't experienced the outdoors. This afternoon when I was tending then, I opened the coop door and watched them come to the doors edge an look out but were afraid to come out. However [STRIKE]George[/STRIKE] Roger came, took a look out, put her head over the door jam and got ready to jump out. I said, "Hey". She's smart and changed her mind. Good Chicken.

BTW I covered the floor with wheat straw a few days ago to give them some scratch.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor

Nooooo! :cry:

I haven't gotten around to making a predator proof cage outside the coop yet so they haven't experienced the outdoors. This afternoon when I was tending then, I opened the coop door and watched them come to the doors edge an look out but were afraid to come out. However [STRIKE]George[/STRIKE] Roger came, took a look out, put her head over the door jam and got ready to jump out. I said, "Hey". She's smart and changed her mind. Good Chicken.

BTW I covered the floor with wheat straw a few days ago to give them some scratch.
George is another of my favorite animal names! Protect my baby! Make sure they don't go out in the open where notagoshawks can get them.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Protect my baby! Make sure they don't go out in the open where notagoshawks can get them.
When I get their outside pen completed, it'll be covered just for that reason. Roger will be in good hands.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Here's Roger this afternoon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36286&stc=1&d=1307664841.jpg

And with her friends.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36287&stc=1&d=1307664841.jpg

Now she's showing off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36288&stc=1&d=1307664841.jpg

Attachments

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Nice looking brood, Don :approve:! Did all of them survive their chickhood?

Evo
Mentor

<Gasp> He's beeutiful!!!! I have the fist male egg laying chicken. :approve: