Raising e to a Non-Diagonal Matrix | Calculating eiaB Components

• Thread starter Vitani11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the matrix eiaB has two eigenvalues and raising all elements of the matrix to the power of e results in the same matrix as the original matrix.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

Find all components of the matrix eiaB. a is a constant and B is a 3x3 matrix whose first row is 0,0,-i second row is 0,0,0 and third row is i,0,0. The taylor expansion of eiaB gives 1+iaB-a2B2/2! - ...

Homework Equations

The taylor expansion of eiaB gives 1+iaB-a2B2/2! - ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do from here. If this is a diagonal matrix I would be able to multiply each element in B by ia and then raise e to the power of whatever the result is for each element in the matrix, but this doesn't qualify as a diagonal matrix. I have looked online and can't find any resources that speak about raising e to a non-diagonal matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right now I have that the element in place of -i is eB and the element in place of i is e-B, the 0's stayed 0

Vitani11 said:

Homework Statement

Find all components of the matrix eiaB. a is a constant and B is a 3x3 matrix whose first row is 0,0,-i second row is 0,0,0 and third row is i,0,0. The taylor expansion of eiaB gives 1+iaB-a2B2/2! - ...
Continue what you're doing here with the Maclaurin expansion. The powers of B are cyclical, oscillating between two values.
Vitani11 said:

Homework Equations

The taylor expansion of eiaB gives 1+iaB-a2B2/2! - ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do from here. If this is a diagonal matrix I would be able to multiply each element in B by ia and then raise e to the power of whatever the result is for each element in the matrix, but this doesn't qualify as a diagonal matrix. I have looked online and can't find any resources that speak about raising e to a non-diagonal matrix.

Likes Vitani11
I see that it is also cos(aB)+isin(aB), but how does this help? What do you mean by oscillating between two values?

Vitani11 said:
I don't know what to do from here. If this is a diagonal matrix I would be able to multiply each element in B by ia and then raise e to the power of whatever the result is for each element in the matrix, but this doesn't qualify as a diagonal matrix.

With respect to all square matrices, the way to think about it is: act as if they were diagonal (and failing that settle for just upper triangular).

Do you know how to diagonalize a matrix? It can definitely be done in this case.

Likes Vitani11
Vitani11 said:
I see that it is also cos(aB)+isin(aB), but how does this help? What do you mean by oscillating between two values?
The Cayley-Hamilton theorem says that B satisfies its characteristic polynomial. In this case, that means ##B^3-B = 0##. It follows then that all odd powers of B are equal to B and all even powers are equal to ##B^2##. If you calculate the first few powers of B, you can verify this is the case.

Last edited:
Likes Vitani11
Okay so I can diagonalise this thing and find its matrix of eigenvalues and then I can just raise the elements in this diagonal matrix to the power e like I would for a matrix which was originally diagonal since it is equivalent to B?

Vitani11 said:
Okay so I can diagonalise this thing and find its matrix of eigenvalues and then I can just raise the elements in this diagonal matrix to the power e like I would for a matrix which was originally diagonal since it is equivalent to B?

You aren't quite done then. You still have to take the resulting diagonal matrix and transform back to the original basis. Ie. undo the diagonalization.

Likes Vitani11
Okay. After I do this then I can use the formula P-1DP=B to transform this back to B.

Vitani11 said:
Okay. After I do this then I can use the formula P-1DP=B to transform this back to B.

Right.

Likes Vitani11
Wow, that is a beautiful result. I learned how to do this two different ways now :) thank you for the help!

1. What is the purpose of raising e to a non-diagonal matrix?

Raising e to a non-diagonal matrix is a mathematical operation that allows us to find the exponential of a matrix. This operation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. How is the exponential of a non-diagonal matrix calculated?

The exponential of a non-diagonal matrix is calculated using the Taylor series expansion. This involves breaking down the matrix into smaller, simpler components and then using a series of approximations to find the final result.

3. Can the exponential of a non-diagonal matrix be calculated by hand?

In most cases, the exponential of a non-diagonal matrix cannot be calculated by hand due to the complex calculations involved. It is typically done using specialized software or programming languages.

4. What are the applications of calculating the exponential of a non-diagonal matrix?

Calculating the exponential of a non-diagonal matrix has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in solving differential equations, analyzing dynamic systems, and in data compression algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to raising e to a non-diagonal matrix?

Yes, there are limitations to raising e to a non-diagonal matrix. The matrix must be square and have certain properties in order for the exponential to be calculated accurately. Additionally, the result may not always be a simple, whole number and may require rounding or further calculations.