Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raising Operator (Harmonic Oscillator)

1. Jun 9, 2004 #1
    This is (another!) question I cannot solve
    The ground state wavefunction for the harmonic oscillator can be written as
    [tex]$\chi _0 = \left( {\frac{\alpha }
    {\pi }} \right)^{\frac{1}
    {4}} \exp \left( {\frac{{ - \alpha x^2 }}
    {2}} \right)$
    [/tex]

where [tex]$\alpha = \sqrt {\frac{{mk}}
    {{\hbar ^2 }}} $
    [/tex]

We are then asked to apply the rasing operator:
    d/dy-y

where [tex]$y = \sqrt \alpha x$
    [/tex]
    First of all, does this mean replace all alphas, and x's with y's? (Is it even possible to get rid of all x's? I end up with a y/x in there), and then apply
    d(chi)/dy-y*chi
    Is that what the operator is doing? I don't see the significane of the answer. If I apply the lowering operator (d/dy + y) I still get 'an' answer, when I figure I should get something to tell me I can't go lower then the groud state (a zero perhaps, or a mathematical impossibility like division by zero)

Anyway...if anyone can shed some light on this it would eb much appreciated!

Edit: I cant figure out division on this board! I swear to god I am doing it right...I will post my operator down here...if someone can point out the latex error I'd love to know:
    [tex]\[
    \frac{d}
    {{dy}} - y
    \]

[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2004 #2
    I swear my equations are printing in the wrong order above. For reference:
    Raising operator - d/dy - y
    where y = sqrt(alpha)*x

Oh and I get
    [tex]-1/2\,{\frac {{e^{-1/2\,\alpha\,{x}^{2}}} \left( -1+4\,\alpha\,{x}^{2}
    \right) }{x\sqrt [4]{\alpha\,\pi }}}
    [/tex]

Is this the first excited state? Pretty sure I would have made an error somewhere there!

4. Jun 9, 2004 #3
    Dont worry. Completly missed something here. All makes sesnse now. Can I delete this thread somehow?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?