How Do Raising Operators Work in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the expression \hat{}a*\hat{}a = (\hat{}H/\hbarw ) -1/2 to obtain \langle n|\hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} |n\rangle, and the possibility of using \hat{a} |n\rangle = sqrt n |n-1\rangle to simplify the equation. However, it is mentioned that this may not be relevant and there is confusion about the usefulness of separating the expression into two parts.
Chronos000
I don't understand the following step:

using [tex]\hat{}a*[/tex][tex]\hat{}a[/tex] = ([tex]\hat{}H[/tex]/[tex]\hbar[/tex]w ) -1/2

<n|[tex]\hat{}a*[/tex][tex]\hat{}a[/tex]|n> = n<n|n>.

my first thoughts were to use a|n> = sqrt n | n-1> but I don't think that's relevant

if you sub in a*a and separate it into two expressions I don't see what good that would do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chronos000 said:
I don't understand the following step:

using [tex]\hat{}a*[/tex][tex]\hat{}a[/tex] = ([tex]\hat{}H[/tex]/[tex]\hbar[/tex]w ) -1/2

<n|[tex]\hat{}a*[/tex][tex]\hat{}a[/tex]|n> = n<n|n>.

my first thoughts were to use a|n> = sqrt n | n-1> but I don't think that's relevant

if you sub in a*a and separate it into two expressions I don't see what good that would do

You can indeed obtain [tex]\langle n|\hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} |n\rangle[/tex] by using your formula for [tex]\hat{a} |n\rangle[/tex] as well as the corresponding formula for [tex] \hat{a}^\dagger |n-1\rangle[/tex].

I shouldn't actually have mentioned that, as my notes use a|n> initially to get a constant out. But then they provide the above step in order to obtain the value of that constant which turns out to be sqrt n

1. What are raising operators in quantum mechanics?

Raising operators are mathematical operators that are used in quantum mechanics to raise the energy level of a quantum system. They can also be used to create new quantum states from existing ones.

2. How are raising operators related to creation and annihilation operators?

Raising operators are a specific type of creation operator, which are used to create new quantum states. They are related to annihilation operators, which are used to destroy quantum states, through a mathematical relationship known as the commutation relation.

3. What is the significance of raising operators in quantum mechanics?

Raising operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of quantum states and their properties. They allow us to understand the behavior of quantum systems and make predictions about their energy levels and transitions.

4. How do raising operators act on quantum states?

Raising operators act on quantum states by increasing their energy level by a fixed amount. This can be visualized as moving up a ladder of energy levels, hence the term "raising" operator.

5. Can raising operators be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, raising operators have applications in other areas of physics, such as in the study of harmonic oscillators and their energy levels. They are also used in the theory of angular momentum in quantum mechanics.