Troubleshooting pH Levels in Saltwater Aquariums

• Thread starter sagcali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the person has been trying to raise the pH of sand filtered salt water to 9-9.4, but has been unsuccessful with sodium bicarb and NaOH. They are seeking advice and have been recommended to use Kalkwasser or limewater, which will also add calcium to the water. They are also advised to test the total alkalinity before adding it. It is suggested to avoid using NaOH if trying to replicate seawater or grow microalgae with coral, as it can precipitate remaining calcium.
sagcali
I have been trying to raise the pH of sand filtered salt water. I tried sodium bicarb but have been getting a thick precipitate. I am trying to raise the pH to 9-9.4 It starts out at around 8.2.
I have also tried NaOH and have had no luck maintaining the pH at 9-9.4

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For just raising the pH, use of NaOH should be able to bring it to 12 with no problem.

What was the source of your sand filtered salt water? How was it treated before you found it and how else did you treat it before adding the alkaline materials to raise the pH?

The saltwater is from an underground SW source on Oahu, HI.

I'm using the water to culture micro algae.

Add Kalkwasser or limewater. This will also add calcium to your water which might be depleted in the water. You might try testing total alkalinity before trying it though. I would avoid adding NaOH if you are trying to duplicate what is present in seawater or if your microalgae is intended to grow on or with coral. NaOH will precipitate any remaining Ca that might be present.

What is the ideal pH range for a saltwater aquarium?

The ideal pH range for a saltwater aquarium is between 8.1 and 8.4. This range is slightly basic, which is necessary for the health of most marine organisms.

Why is it important to maintain a stable pH level in a saltwater aquarium?

A stable pH level is important for the overall health and survival of the organisms in a saltwater aquarium. Fluctuations in pH can cause stress and even death in some species. It can also impact the effectiveness of the biological and chemical processes in the tank, such as the nitrogen cycle.

How can I raise the pH in my saltwater aquarium?

To raise the pH in a saltwater aquarium, you can add a buffer or chemical solution specifically designed for this purpose. You can also use crushed coral or aragonite sand as a substrate, as these materials can naturally increase the pH over time.

What are some common causes of low pH in a saltwater aquarium?

The most common cause of low pH in a saltwater aquarium is a lack of alkalinity or carbonate hardness. This can be due to a lack of water changes, overstocking, or overfeeding, which can lead to an accumulation of acidic substances in the tank. Other factors such as high levels of carbon dioxide and organic waste can also contribute to low pH.

How often should I test the pH in my saltwater aquarium?

It is recommended to test the pH in a saltwater aquarium at least once a week. If you notice any significant fluctuations, it may be necessary to test more frequently to monitor the changes and take necessary actions to stabilize the pH level.