Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raising pH in Saltwater

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    I have been trying to raise the pH of sand filtered salt water. I tried sodium bicarb but have been getting a thick precipitate. I am trying to raise the pH to 9-9.4 It starts out at around 8.2.
    I have also tried NaOH and have had no luck maintaining the pH at 9-9.4

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

For just raising the pH, use of NaOH should be able to bring it to 12 with no problem.

What was the source of your sand filtered salt water? How was it treated before you found it and how else did you treat it before adding the alkaline materials to raise the pH?

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    The saltwater is from an underground SW source on Oahu, HI.

5. Sep 17, 2009 #4
    I'm using the water to culture micro algae.

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Add Kalkwasser or limewater. This will also add calcium to your water which might be depleted in the water. You might try testing total alkalinity before trying it though. I would avoid adding NaOH if you are trying to duplicate what is present in seawater or if your microalgae is intended to grow on or with coral. NaOH will precipitate any remaining Ca that might be present.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook