Raising the temperature of a solvent

What really happens is that the water molecules 'beat' the force between the molecules of the matterial. Imagine a box with 5 peaces of magnets in it. each one of them has a different polrity. now, try to put another magnet in that box, you will see that it will fit only in one space (and only if it has the opposite polarity of the magnet that can fit in that space), NOW, if you were to shake the box very randomly, very very very strongly, you would see that the magnet can 'get in' even if it has the SAME polarity as the magnet in the space it tries to fit. This is beacuse the energy of the 'shaking' is greater than the force
Thomo
Raising the temperature of a solvent (eg water) alters the maximum solubility why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Because raising the temperature 'loosens' electrostatic interactions between molecules thus making it easier for water to pry themselves in between and form a clathrate (cage) around individual molecules or ions thereaby separating them. Basically your increasing the kinetic energy of molecules and therefore their moving around the solution at a much higher rate when they are at higher temperatures.

>>>thus making it easier for water to pry themselves in between <<<

so its more to do with the temp of the thing your trying to dissolve not so much the medium E8?

so its more to do with the temp of the thing your trying to dissolve not so much the medium E8?
No, it is more about the temprature of the medium you are dissolving In.
To understand this you must first understand how dissovling happens.
The dissolved material has somekind of bound between its molecules (for example, in NaCl the bounds are Ionic), when a certain material gets dissolved in a certain medium, it means that the bound between the molecule of the matterial were broken (even if not all of them), and re-formed with the medium.
For example, let's take NaCl (table salt), being dissolved in H2O (water), the molecules of H2O has a positive and negative side (due to the difference in electronegativity of H and O, and also due to the shape of H2O), in other words, the molecules of Water are being attracted to each other by a electrostatic force (the positive side of a water molecule attracts the negative side of antoher water molecule, forming hexagons if water is cold).
Now, when you put NaCl in that water, the positive side of the water molecule will head towards the negative Cl ion, and the negative side of other water molecules will head towards the positve Na ion, and those water molecules will form a cage round the ions, therefore taking teh ions out of the NaCl block (or, actually, dissolving NaCl !).
Now that you have an idea how this happens, let's see the effect of temprature on that.
When you raise the temprature of water, the kinetic energy of the water molecules will become bigger (or in other words, the average speed of each molecule will become higher), so the water molecules will have more energy to beat the force between the ions of NaCl, and form the cages (and it will also be easier since the electrostatic force between the water molecules will become less effective on the movement of the waster molecules).

(edited for a missing letter)

Originally posted by Thomo
Raising the temperature of a solvent (eg water) alters the maximum solubility why?

i don't mean to be picky, but you mean 'how'. 'why' is for philosophy.

Thankyou for your time and replies STAii and E8

this is because.

i feel,
When you heat a object it expands.the same hapens inside the molecule of a solute. the inter molecular space expands there by letting space for more particles of solvent to deposite or to be there. I feel this is the cause. i am not good in explaining. so please forgive me for any mistakes.

this is because.

i feel,
When you heat a object it expands.the same hapens inside the molecule of a solute. the inter molecular space expands there by letting space for more particles of solvent to deposite or to be there. I feel this is the cause. i am not good in explaining. so please forgive me for any mistakes.

No problem thomo :wink:
Well benzun_1999, it is sometimes explained the way you are saying, but you see, what really happens in reality is not that the molecules of the matterial simply slip in the molecular spaces of the medium.

1. How does raising the temperature of a solvent affect its properties?

Raising the temperature of a solvent can increase its ability to dissolve solutes, as well as increase its vapor pressure and decrease its viscosity. It may also cause changes in the solvent's freezing and boiling points.

2. Can raising the temperature of a solvent change its chemical composition?

In most cases, raising the temperature of a solvent will not change its chemical composition. However, at very high temperatures, some solvents may undergo chemical reactions and form new compounds.

3. What methods can be used to raise the temperature of a solvent?

The most common methods for raising the temperature of a solvent include heating with a heat source, such as a Bunsen burner or hot plate, and using a water or oil bath. Other methods include using a microwave or ultrasound to generate heat.

4. Is there a limit to how high the temperature of a solvent can be raised?

Yes, there is a limit to how high the temperature of a solvent can be raised. This limit is known as the boiling point, which is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the solvent is equal to the atmospheric pressure. If the temperature is raised above this point, the solvent will boil and turn into a gas.

5. How does the temperature of a solvent affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

Raising the temperature of a solvent can increase the rate of a chemical reaction by providing more energy for the particles to collide and react. This is known as the Arrhenius equation, which states that for every 10°C increase in temperature, the reaction rate doubles.