How can I raise water to the first floor in a multi-story building?

• Thread starter uunniixx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of water pressure and flow in a multi-storied building with a water tank. The question is whether or not water will reach the first floor if a hose is connected to the tap on the ground floor and raised to the first floor. The conversation also mentions the use of a pump and the potential complications it may bring. The conversation ultimately concludes that the level of water reaching the first floor will depend on various factors such as the diameter of the pipe and the pressure created by the pump. Further information is needed to accurately determine the effect of these factors on the water level.
uunniixx
Can anyone please clarify me a questions that I am unable to find an answer or understand in broader perspective:

We have seen tap water coming out with a force via a tank placed up in a multi storied apartment. Assume that I need to connect a rubber pipe in the tap at ground floor and put the pipe in upwards directions at a height of first floor.

Will the water come in the pipe at the first floor level - please note that water is continuously coming out from the tap - if not what can be done to make the water come till first floor?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the tank is higher than the first floor then water will come out at first floor level. If the tank is lower than the first floor it won't.

Attachments

• Tank.png
    Tank.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 747
Perhaps i missunderstand the question?.. If this is the situation (see drawing) then no water comes out when the tap is open. Thats because the tap releases/reduces the pressure created by the head of water in the tank.

Attachments

• Tank.png
    Tank.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 658
CWatters said:
Perhaps i missunderstand the question?.. If this is the situation (see drawing) then no water comes out when the tap is open. Thats because the tap releases/reduces the pressure created by the head of water in the tank.
Tap won't reduce pressure to zero. If it did, two people wouldn't be able to use water from same water tower at the same time, unless at exactly the same elevation. This is clearly false.

This does, however, imply limitations. The pressure drop due to open tap will be related to the flow velocity in the pipes. In fact, you can use Bernoulli Eqn. to gauge effect of the open tap. Knowing diameter of the pipes and flow rate, decrease in maximum elevation could be evaluated. Of course, that's only going to be valid under assumption of inviscid flow and incompressible fluid.

Thanks for your reply.

Please find the picture attached as per expected scenario in my response. One correction the tap to water line connection from the tank is actually like a joint, as such the water line from tank would stretch further on.

The water from the tank is actually pumped through a motor and water oozes out from tap as shown in the figure. The motor is missing in my diagram just for the fact that even if in case motor is not there I believe water should come to level of first floor. Please confirm.

The diameter of the pipe obviously has to be same of tap for its perfect fittings / bindings.

Attachments

• Raising water to first floor.png
    Raising water to first floor.png
    8 KB · Views: 928
Last edited:
See my first diagram. If the hose is the only thing connected it should be possible to raise the end to the same level as the water in the tank.

The pump might complicate things but I would hope not. Most pumps will provide at least 1 bar pressure which is enough to go up about 10m.

CWatters said:
See my first diagram. If the hose is the only thing connected it should be possible to raise the end to the same level as the water in the tank.
That was my first thought, looking at the picture, but he also said this.
One correction the tap to water line connection from the tank is actually like a joint, as such the water line from tank would stretch further on.
Which makes me think water is free to flow elsewhere. So it still goes to your option with the tap and the split. So the level is still going to be reduced and he's providing no information to even guess by how much.

1. How can water be raised to the first floor of a building?

There are several methods for raising water to the first floor of a building. The most common method is using a pump, which creates suction and brings water up through pipes to the desired level. Other methods include using a gravity-fed system, where water is raised through a series of pipes and tanks, and using a hydraulic lift, which uses pressure to bring water up to the first floor.

2. What are the benefits of raising water to the first floor?

Raising water to the first floor can have several benefits, including increased water pressure, easier access to water for daily activities, and the ability to use gravity to distribute water throughout the building. It can also be more cost-effective than having separate water sources on each floor.

3. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to raising water to the first floor?

One potential challenge is the need for a reliable power source for pumps or lifts. This can be an issue during power outages or in areas with unreliable electricity. Additionally, regular maintenance and upkeep may be required for the equipment used to raise water to the first floor.

4. Can rainwater be used for raising water to the first floor?

Yes, rainwater can be collected and used for raising water to the first floor. This is known as rainwater harvesting and can be a sustainable and cost-effective method for providing water to buildings. However, it is important to properly filter and treat the rainwater before using it for drinking or other household purposes.

5. What are some considerations for safety when raising water to the first floor?

Safety should always be a top priority when raising water to the first floor. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations for the specific method being used, as well as regularly inspect and maintain equipment. In case of emergencies, it is also important to have a backup plan in place for accessing water. Additionally, proper labeling and markings should be used to indicate any potential hazards or restrictions around areas where water is being raised to the first floor.