Rally easy question (but I still )

• Thread starter mmh37
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about drawing a contour plot for the function f(x,y) = \frac {a(x+y)} {x^2 + y^2 + a^2} by setting h(x,y) = 1 and completing the square. The resulting equation is (x-(a/2))^2 - (y-a/2)^2 = a^2 which is not a circle or an ellipse, but a hyperbola. The possibility of drawing contour plots quickly is also discussed, with the suggestion of using Mathematica. The confusion about a/2 being the focal point of the hyperbola is clarified to be a translation instead.
mmh37
I am trying to draw the contour plot of the following function:

[tex] f(x,y) = \frac {a(x+y)} {x^2 + y^2 + a^2} [/tex]

by setting h(x,y) = 1 and completing the square I received the following:

[tex] (x-(a/2))^2 - (y-a/2)^2 = a^2 [/tex]

surely, this is not a circle, and not a ellipse...but what is it then.

Also, is there a possibility to draw contour plots rather fast (e.g. with Mathcad)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperboleas are caracterised by the implicit relation

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

but I thought there would be a + in between the square brackets in order for it to be a circle, i.e.

[tex] (x-(a/2))^2 + (y-a/2)^2 = a^2 [/tex]

or does it simply not matter?

mmh37 said:
but I thought there would be a + in between the square brackets in order for it to be a circle, i.e.

[tex] (x-(a/2))^2 + (y-a/2)^2 = a^2 [/tex]

or does it simply not matter?

You read my post before I could delete it. I had missed the - sign and though you were confused about the a/2 translation.

See my new post.

You can draw contour plots in Mathematica.

Thank you very much! The entire thing does make so much more sense now! :-)

So, is a/2 the focal point then (i.e. where the asymptotes cross)?

a/2 is still a translation. the assymptotes are y=±bx/a

Thanks a lot! It's much appreciated!

What is "Rally easy question (but I still )?"

"Rally easy question (but I still )" is a phrase that is often used to describe a question that seems simple or straightforward, but may actually require some thought or consideration to answer correctly.

Why do people use the phrase "Rally easy question (but I still )?"

This phrase is often used in a sarcastic or humorous way to acknowledge that a question may not be as easy as it initially seems. It can also be used to express frustration or annoyance with a question that is supposed to be easy, but is actually difficult to answer.

Is "Rally easy question (but I still )" a scientific term?

No, this phrase is not a scientific term. It is a colloquial expression that is commonly used in informal conversations or online discussions.

How should I respond if someone asks me a "Rally easy question (but I still )?"

If you are asked a question that is described as "Rally easy question (but I still )", you can either answer the question as if it were truly easy, or you can acknowledge the difficulty of the question and provide a more thoughtful response.

Can "Rally easy question (but I still )" be used in a professional setting?

While this phrase is more commonly used in informal settings, it can also be used in a professional setting if used appropriately. However, it is important to be mindful of the tone and context in which it is used, as it may not be appropriate for all situations.