Exploring a Numerical Simulation of a Ram Accelerator Device

In summary: Thank you for your input! I'm still in the process of gathering data and trying to come up with a feasible design, so your input will definitely be helpful. I'll also post updates as I go along.Good luck!
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've just got my final year project assigned. It has to do with a numerical simulation of a Ram Accelerator device.

Well, apart of having doubts, which I will post just here proximately, I would want to know some website to learn more about that type of device.

Apart of Google sites, which is my task to find them, do you know some website dedicated to that or some academic site for further explanation?.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Notwithstanding how much I've been googling, I haven't found the difference between Scramjet and Ramjet engine. Anybody knows it?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Clausius2 said:
EDIT: Notwithstanding how much I've been googling, I haven't found the difference between Scramjet and Ramjet engine. Anybody knows it?
Not much - the difference is that the scramjet is shaped to optomize flow for supersonic combustion (that's what the "sc" stands for).

russ_watters said:
Not much - the difference is that the scramjet is shaped to optomize flow for supersonic combustion (that's what the "sc" stands for).

Thanks.

Doesn't have also the Ramjet a supersonic combustion in his combustion chamber?. Furthermore what's the design's difference between a Ramjet engine and a Ram Accelerator?. I'll keep on surveying over there...

Well I only googled and came up with the links below. Hope it helps.

Ram accelerator

http://www.nas.nasa.gov/About/Education/SpaceSettlement/Nowicki/SPBI106.HTM

http://www.aa.washington.edu/AERP/ramac/uw_facility.html

Scramjet

http://elroy.anu.edu.au/~frank/houwing/papers/journal/SeanChokingPaper.pdf

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Scramjet#Theory

http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/ramjet.htm

http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/lp/lasdiag/scram.html

http://www.pr.afrl.af.mil/mar/2002/feb2002.pdf

http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Research/CMI/RLVsource/scramjets.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your effort, Geniere, very helpful.

Clausius2 said:
Doesn't have also the Ramjet a supersonic combustion in his combustion chamber?.

I don't think so. Normal shockwave out front of the combustion chamber slows the flow to subsonic speeds.

enigma said:
I don't think so. Normal shockwave out front of the combustion chamber slows the flow to subsonic speeds.

I have received your e-mail. And I have answered you to your gmail direction. Thank you very much.

Well, after being reading the RAM articles at University of Washington web, the ramjet engine can operate under supersonic combustion. In fact, there are three modes of operating of the ramjet engine:

-Subdetonative: the combustion is produced subsonically as you have just said.

-Transdetonative: there is transonic flow in the combustion chamber.

-Superdetonative: the combustion is made supersonically. Furthermore, this last mode is the so-called ScRamjet. Also, the RAM accelerator can operate in those three modes, the superdetonative is called ScRam accelerator.

This thread is not closed at all. You could comment all what you want about this subject. Proximately I will post some new doubts.

What a coincidence;)! My final project is also about a ramac! At the moment I was searching for something related to the chemical kinetic process.. and I came across your post! What exactly do you want to simulate (inputs-outputs)?

julesverne said:
What exactly do you want to simulate (inputs-outputs)?

What do you mean with that?

PD: I don't believe in coincidences, :P

Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well..Basically, what I have to do is to calculate the generated acceleration as a function of Mach number given the initial state of the in-tube propellant and projectile geometry... using a relative simple one-dimensional unsteady flowfield model. Is that what you have to do as well?

julesverne said:
Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well..Basically, what I have to do is to calculate the generated acceleration as a function of Mach number given the initial state of the in-tube propellant and projectile geometry... using a relative simple one-dimensional unsteady flowfield model. Is that what you have to do as well?

Hi Jules Verne (I never believed me talking with such a important writter :biggrin: ). What do you mean with a relative simple one-dimensional unsteady flow field. The flow over a RAMAC is two dimensional.

Anyway, my target is to code the Euler Reactive Equations and obtain the three modes of functioning. Designing the projectile and geometry is left to me. A simple kinetic mechanism of Hydrogen will be surely implemented. But I have not chewed over it yet.

Clausius2 said:
What do you mean with a relative simple one-dimensional unsteady flow field. The flow over a RAMAC is two dimensional.

Anyway, my target is to code the Euler Reactive Equations and obtain the three modes of functioning. Designing the projectile and geometry is left to me. A simple kinetic mechanism of Hydrogen will be surely implemented. But I have not chewed over it yet.

Good luck! I just have to study the subdetonative mode ;).. The 1-D modeling I'm using is for calculating the thrust (the classical thermodynamic "black box" model). The problem is that the control volume length depends on mach number, so I'm trying to figure out the induction length as a function of mach number, which would give an idea of the c.v.length variation.By the moment, I'm trying to get used to chemkin package which, according to my teachers, will help me a lot with the kinetic calculations :uhh: The shock wave system is obviusly 2-D, but I'm not looking at it at the moment. I will use methane as fuel.

1. What is a ram accelerator device?

A ram accelerator device is a type of gun that uses the energy from high-pressure gas to accelerate a projectile to high speeds. It is often used in research and development for hypersonic flight and space exploration.

2. How does a ram accelerator device work?

The device works by using a ramjet engine to generate a supersonic airflow that compresses and ignites a propellant gas. The resulting high-pressure gas is directed through a barrel, pushing the projectile forward and accelerating it to high speeds.

3. What are the potential applications of a ram accelerator device?

Ram accelerator devices have a wide range of potential applications, including launch systems for space travel, high-speed transportation, and military weaponry. They can also be used for materials testing and scientific research.

4. What are the advantages of using a numerical simulation for studying a ram accelerator device?

Numerical simulations allow scientists to study the behavior of a ram accelerator device in a controlled and repeatable environment. This can save time and resources compared to physical testing and can also provide more detailed insights into the device's performance.

5. What are some challenges in exploring numerical simulations of ram accelerator devices?

One of the main challenges is accurately modeling the complex and dynamic flow of gases within the device. This requires advanced computational methods and high-performance computing resources. Another challenge is validating the simulation results with physical experiments to ensure their accuracy.