1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raman Spectroscopy

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    Hi, For someone my question could be very simple but I couldn't find a well explain paper that explain this to me.

In a Raman spectrometer the stokes and anti-stokes wavelength will always be grater than the laser wavelength used?.

I have this confusion because I saw that Raman spectrometers commonly use an edge filter that is usually a couple o nm grater than the laser wavelength.

For example for a 532nm use a 534 or 538nm edge filter to reflect only the stokes and anti-stokes wavelength.

If some one can explain this to me I will appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

By definition the Stokes lines have a longer wavelength and the anti-Stokes lines a shorter wavelength.
    So if you have an edge filter with a wavelength longer than your excitation source, you should only be seeing the Stokes lines. Which lines you want to look at depends on the kind of Raman spectroscopy you're doing.

4. Jul 14, 2010 #3
    Thank you very mauch alxm.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook