Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ramanujan Misterious PI formula

1. May 18, 2007 #1

Is there any mathematical explanation to the incredible fast converging formula by Ramanujan?:

[tex] \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{9801} \sum^\infty_{k=0} \frac{(4k)!(1103+26390k)}{(k!)^4 396^{4k}}=\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex]

or simply "ocurred to him" and put it on a paper.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

There most likely is a mathematical explanation to the series, but from arguments that are far more advanced than my knowledge.

There is however a very small chance it just luckily occurred to him, just as this interesting approximation did (he got it in a dream apparently) : [tex]\sqrt[4]{\frac{2143}{22}}[/tex]

Thats accurate to 9 digits, and came from a dream with no mathematical basis, so obviously Ramanujan was extremely proficient in his numeracy.

I can only offer 2 ideas :

The first is the following expression for pi, which looks like it may be somehow related to the series and had been transformed :

[tex] \frac{\sqrt2}2 \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2+\sqrt2}}2 \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt2}}}2 \cdot \cdots = \frac2\pi[/tex]

The 2nd idea is to send an email to the Chudnovsky brothers, because I know that the series you ask about is in fact the basis for this faster series:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi} = 12 \sum^\infty_{k=0} \frac{(-1)^k (6k)! (13591409 + 545140134k)}{(3k)!(k!)^3 640320^{3k + 3/2}}[/tex]

Maybe they can help you.
  4. May 24, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

O just in case there was any confusion over my last part of the post, the Chudnovsky brothers discovered that series.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?