1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ramp and Pulley

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    Im studying for a test tomorrow and i'm doing a question, which someone posted the answers to on here in another topic

i did it and got the wrong answer apparently can someone check and make sure im not messing up?

A pulley device is used to hurl projectiles from a ramp (mk = 0.26) as illustrated in the diagram. The 5.0-kg mass is accelerated from rest at the bottom of the 4.0 m long ramp by a falling 20.0-kg mass suspended over a frictionless pulley. Just as the 5.0-kg mass reaches the top of the ramp, it detaches from the rope (neglect the mass of the rope) and becomes projected from the ramp.

The diagram is at: https://fc.amdsb.ca/~Anca_Bogorin/S...F21C-004C4D96.8/32309_124510_30.png?src=.BMP"

(a) Determine the acceleration of the 5.0-kg mass along the ramp. (Provide free-body diagrams for both masses.)
    (b) Determine the tension in the rope during the acceleration of the 5.0-kg mass along the ramp.
    (c) Determine the speed of projection of the 5.0-kg mass from the top of the ramp.
    (d) Determine the horizontal range of the 5.0-kg mass from the base of the ramp.

so for a)

Fg = 20(9.81)
    Fg = 196.21N

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx = ma

Fa - Ff - Fgx = ma
    196.2 - 0.26[(5.0)(9.81)/cos(30)] - [(5.0)(9.81)/sin(30)] = 25a
    196.2 - 14.73 - 9.81/25 = a
    a = 6.87 m/s2

The Apparent Answer is:
    Thanks :), i just wana make sure im not doing something wrong so i dont make a fatal error in my test

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    Nevermind, i know what i was doing wrong, i was drawing my triangles wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook