1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ramp frictional force

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the frictional force (magnitude and direction) on the crate if the crate is sliding up the ramp.

Frictional force= ?
    μk = 0.30
    μs = 0.74
    mass=10.0 kg
    angle of incline 30° to the horizontal

2. Relevant equations

fk=uk * N

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried doing this problem by drawing t he free body diagram and creating another triangle to find frictional force, as seen in the picture
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
    . i tried solving for the frictional force by multiplying the kinetic coefficient of friction, gravity and mass with sin(30).... I found out from a friend that cos(30) would give you the correct answer, but I not sure why. So I wanted to understand why the sin(30), giving you the parallel force of friction, is not correct when trying to solve this problem.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2
    When you draw out the freebody diagram, try making the x-axis the ramp 30 (tilted axis). Then, break up the weight vector into its x and y components, and you should be able to see that mgsin(\theta)is a force in the same direction as friction, but it is NOT friction. Friction is a separate force on the free body diagram all together.

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3
    The mgsin(\theta) term is NOT the parallel force of friction. It is the box's parallel (x-component) of weight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted