Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ramp problem

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of research recently, but am still struggling to do a good hypothesis for my experiment. The experiment is to find the efficiency of a ramp. I will be changing the height of the ramp and will be measuring the force required to lift a bucket with a total mass (with weights in it) of 1kg ( 100N).
    What I would like to know is how the friction between the bucket and the ramp changes as the the height of the ramp is increased. This is important as; as the friction will effect the force required to pull the bucket up the ramp.

Thanks in advance,
    Ed

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2
    Total energy needed to move an object of mass M over a distance of s over a ramp of height H:

[tex]E = MgH + {\int_0^s}Mg{\mu}Cos{\theta}ds[/tex]

g = grav. accln, theta = ramp inclination.

4. Mar 8, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integration wasn't necessary.You might add that the energy you mentioned is actually the work one must do "against" the 2 forces that wooud oppose the movement upwards:tangential component of gravity and K friction force.
    Let there be noted that "E" is the minimum work that has to be done.One of course would be able to do more work,the effect of which (simply using the theorem if variation of KE) would be greater speed for the tracted body at the height of the ramp.

Daniel.

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4
    It is the most concise way of explaining the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?