Solving the Ramp Problem: Finding Time to Stop Sliding on a Horizontal Surface

• Thread starter Ninja_P
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
In summary, an object of unknown mass slides down an incline with a constant velocity of 1.4 m/s. It then slides on to a horizontal surface with the same coefficient of friction. To find the time it takes for the object to stop moving, the equation Fnet = ma is used with the acceleration being -μg. This can then be plugged into the kinematic equation v = vo+at, where vo is given as +1.4 m/s, to find the time to rest.
Ninja_P
I would really appreciate some help on this problem, or even a push in the right direction:

An object of unknown mass slides down an incline in which Θ= 6.9. The object slides with a constant velocity of 1.4 m/s. At the bottom of the incline, the object slides on to a horizontal in which the coefficient of friction is the same as the incline. This is neglecting air resistance and the transfer of the object from incline to flat surface. I'm trying to figure out how long it will take the object to cease movement after it begins to slide on the horizontal surface.

So far I've been able to figure out:
Fnet = 0 since acceleration = 0.
Force of friction = Force parallel since Fnet = 0.
μ = 0.12101 because of tanθ = μ

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I forgot to add what equations I know already.

Of course, Fnet = ma
Normal Force = Weight x cosΘ On the horizontal -> W = mg
Parallel Force = Weight x sinΘ
Friction Force = μ x Weight x cosΘ (Normal Force)
and my four kinematics equations.

When you're on the horizontal part, the only force that is in the direction of motion is the friction force, which is now |f| = μmg. Let's define the direction of motion as the positive direction, so:

Fnet = -μmg
ma = -μmg
a = -μg

Now you have an acceleration that you can plug into your kinematic equations (vo is given as +1.4 m/s) to find the time to rest (v = vo+at is all you need for that).

1. What is the Ramp Problem?

The Ramp Problem refers to the challenge of finding the time it takes for an object to stop sliding down a ramp and come to a complete stop on a horizontal surface. This problem is commonly encountered in physics and engineering.

2. How is the time to stop sliding on a horizontal surface calculated?

The time to stop sliding on a horizontal surface can be calculated using the formula t = v/g, where t is the time, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that there is no friction present.

3. What factors can affect the time to stop sliding?

The time to stop sliding can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the ramp, the mass and shape of the object, the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the object, and the initial velocity of the object.

4. How can the Ramp Problem be solved?

The Ramp Problem can be solved using mathematical equations and principles from physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of work and energy. By considering all the relevant factors and using the appropriate formulas, the time to stop sliding on a horizontal surface can be accurately calculated.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving the Ramp Problem?

The Ramp Problem has many practical applications, such as in designing roller coasters, calculating the stopping distance of vehicles on sloped roads, and determining the optimal angle for a ramp in a loading dock. It is also important in understanding the behavior of objects on inclined surfaces, which is crucial in fields like construction, sports, and transportation.