1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ramp with work problem

1. May 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 3-kg block is moved up a 37° incline under the action of a constant horizontal force of 40 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is .1, and the block is displaced 2 m up the incline. Calculate (a) the work done by the 40-N force, (b) the work done by gravity, (c) the work done by friction, and (d) the change in kinetic energy of the block.

2. Relevant equations
    The Potential and Kinetic Energy equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I managed to get all the parts of this question right except part (c). What I did was take the weight, which I found to be 29.4, and do 29.4 cos 37° to find the normal force. I got 23.48 for the normal force. Then I multiplied that by .1 to get the force of friction. Then I took the force of friction and multiplied it by the displacement to find the work done by friction. I got -4.7 J and the answer was -9.51 J.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw a free body diagram for the block.

The horizontal force (actually the reaction to it) contributes to the normal force.

4. May 22, 2014 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That would be fine except for that 40 N horizontal force. That force has a component normal to the surface, so it adds to the normal force on the block.

(SammyS beat me to it!)

5. May 22, 2014 #4
    OK I get it now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted