Calculating Work Done by Friction?

In summary, the block was moved up a 37° incline under the action of a constant horizontal force of 40 N, and the coefficient of kinetic friction was .1. The horizontal force (actually the reaction to it) contributed to the normal force, and the block was displaced 2 m up the incline. The work done by the 40-N force was -9.51 J, and the work done by gravity was -8.27 J. The work done by friction was -4.7 J, and the change in kinetic energy of the block was -9.51 J.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A 3-kg block is moved up a 37° incline under the action of a constant horizontal force of 40 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is .1, and the block is displaced 2 m up the incline. Calculate (a) the work done by the 40-N force, (b) the work done by gravity, (c) the work done by friction, and (d) the change in kinetic energy of the block.

Homework Equations

The Potential and Kinetic Energy equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to get all the parts of this question right except part (c). What I did was take the weight, which I found to be 29.4, and do 29.4 cos 37° to find the normal force. I got 23.48 for the normal force. Then I multiplied that by .1 to get the force of friction. Then I took the force of friction and multiplied it by the displacement to find the work done by friction. I got -4.7 J and the answer was -9.51 J.

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:

Homework Statement

A 3-kg block is moved up a 37° incline under the action of a constant horizontal force of 40 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is .1, and the block is displaced 2 m up the incline. Calculate (a) the work done by the 40-N force, (b) the work done by gravity, (c) the work done by friction, and (d) the change in kinetic energy of the block.

Homework Equations

The Potential and Kinetic Energy equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to get all the parts of this question right except part (c). What I did was take the weight, which I found to be 29.4, and do 29.4 cos 37° to find the normal force. I got 23.48 for the normal force. Then I multiplied that by .1 to get the force of friction. Then I took the force of friction and multiplied it by the displacement to find the work done by friction. I got -4.7 J and the answer was -9.51 J.
Draw a free body diagram for the block.

The horizontal force (actually the reaction to it) contributes to the normal force.

Likes 1 person
BrainMan said:
I managed to get all the parts of this question right except part (c). What I did was take the weight, which I found to be 29.4, and do 29.4 cos 37° to find the normal force. I got 23.48 for the normal force.
That would be fine except for that 40 N horizontal force. That force has a component normal to the surface, so it adds to the normal force on the block.

(SammyS beat me to it!)

Likes 1 person
OK I get it now. Thanks!

I would like to commend you for your attempt at solving this problem and getting most of the parts correct. However, there are a few things that could be improved in your approach to calculating the work done by friction.

Firstly, in order to calculate the work done by friction, we need to use the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the displacement. In your attempt, you correctly found the force of friction to be 2.348 N (23.48 N * 0.1), but you did not multiply it by the displacement of 2 m. Instead, you used the normal force to calculate the work done by friction, which is not correct.

Secondly, it is important to note that the work done by friction is always negative, as it acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. In your calculation, you obtained a positive value of 4.7 J, which implies that the work done by friction is in the same direction as the displacement, which is incorrect.

To obtain the correct value for the work done by friction, we can use the equation W = μN*d, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, N is the normal force, and d is the displacement. Therefore, the work done by friction in this case would be -9.51 J, as you correctly mentioned.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would suggest reviewing the equations and their applications to ensure that all calculations are correct and consistent with the given information. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a "ramp with work problem"?

A ramp with work problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the amount of work done on an object as it is moved up or down a ramp. The ramp is used to make it easier to move the object against gravity.

2. How do you calculate the work done on an object on a ramp?

To calculate the work done on an object on a ramp, you need to know the force applied to the object, the distance the object is moved, and the angle of the ramp. The formula for work is W = Fdcosθ, where W is work, F is force, d is distance, and θ is the angle of the ramp.

3. What is the difference between a ramp with work problem and a regular work problem?

In a ramp with work problem, the object is moved up or down a ramp, which changes the distance and angle in the work formula. In a regular work problem, the force and distance are usually in a straight line, making the angle 0 degrees and the formula simpler (W = Fd).

4. What are some real-life applications of ramp with work problems?

Ramp with work problems can be seen in common tasks such as pushing a stroller up a hill, lifting a suitcase up a flight of stairs, or using a ramp to load heavy objects onto a truck. They can also be used in engineering and construction to determine the amount of force needed to move objects up or down inclines.

5. Are there any limitations to using the ramp with work formula?

Yes, the ramp with work formula assumes that there is no friction present on the ramp, which is not always the case in real-life situations. Friction can affect the force required to move an object and therefore alter the work calculation. Additionally, the formula does not take into account the shape or weight distribution of the object being moved, which can also impact the work done.