Random arrangment of graphite

In summary, there is cylindrical symmetry observed in the electron diffraction patterns from graphite, but this is not a direct reflection of the symmetry in the graphite structure itself. The random arrangement of layers and the diffraction process both play a role in creating this symmetry. Keep up the good work in your physics studies!
pythagoras88
hi, I am a currently a year one physics major and during a lab session today and have a question regarding electron diffraction using graphite.

Since the electron beam and the circular ring on the screen exhibit cylindrical symmetry(such that if you rotate the beam and the ring, you still get the same pattern), does it mean that the graphite has cylindrical symmetry as well? From my knowledge, the graphite are composed of different layers, thus should not really exhibit cylindrical symmetry. The explanation given by the lab assistant was that the random arrangement of the graphite actually help to compensate off or mask the lack of symmetry in the graphite. I don't quite agree with his explanation. I wonder if someone could help me with this.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. As a fellow physicist, I can understand your confusion about the cylindrical symmetry observed in electron diffraction patterns from graphite. The explanation given by your lab assistant is partially correct. While it is true that the random arrangement of graphite layers can help to compensate for the lack of overall cylindrical symmetry, there are other factors at play as well.

Firstly, it is important to note that the cylindrical symmetry observed in the electron diffraction pattern is not a direct reflection of the symmetry in the graphite structure itself. Rather, it is a result of the diffraction process. When an electron beam is directed at a sample, it diffracts off the atoms in the sample, creating interference patterns that are then captured on the screen. The symmetry observed in the diffraction pattern is a result of the symmetry of the diffraction process, not necessarily the sample itself.

However, the structure of graphite does play a role in the diffraction pattern. As you mentioned, graphite is composed of layers of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. This hexagonal symmetry can contribute to the cylindrical symmetry observed in the diffraction pattern. Additionally, the random arrangement of these layers can also contribute to the overall symmetry, as it helps to average out any irregularities or imperfections in the sample.

In conclusion, while the graphite structure itself may not exhibit perfect cylindrical symmetry, the diffraction process and the random arrangement of layers can contribute to the cylindrical symmetry observed in the electron diffraction pattern. I hope this helps to clarify your question. Keep up the good work in your physics studies!

What is graphite and why does it have a random arrangement?

Graphite is a form of carbon that is made up of layers of hexagonal rings. These rings are loosely bonded together, resulting in a random arrangement of the atoms.

What is the significance of the random arrangement of graphite?

The random arrangement of graphite allows for the material to have unique properties such as being soft, slippery, and able to conduct electricity.

How does the random arrangement affect the properties of graphite?

The random arrangement of graphite results in weak bonds between the layers, making it easy for the layers to slide over each other. This gives graphite its lubricating and slippery properties.

Can the random arrangement of graphite be changed?

Yes, the random arrangement of graphite can be changed by subjecting it to high temperatures and pressures. This process is known as graphitization and results in a more ordered arrangement of the carbon atoms, resulting in a material known as diamond.

What industries use the random arrangement of graphite?

The unique properties of graphite due to its random arrangement make it useful in a variety of industries. It is commonly used in pencils, lubricants, batteries, and as a component in nuclear reactors and aerospace technologies.