Random Generator in Excel 2013

In summary, to use the Random Generator function in Excel 2013, you can either type "=RAND()" into a cell or go to the "Formulas" tab and click on "Insert Function." You can also generate random numbers within a specific range using the formula "=RAND()*(end_range-start_range)+start_range" or the "RANDBETWEEN" function. The function can also be used to generate a list of random numbers or to generate random dates, times, text, or words.
StevieTNZ
Hi there,

In Office Excel 2013 -
If I make a list of five statements, each in a separate cell but within the same column, in another cell how can I get Excel to randomly select three of those statements? Not sure how to write the =RAND() equation.

Any help will be much appreciated,
Stevie

Computer science news on Phys.org
Assuming it is all in column A:

=INDEX($A#:$A#,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA($A#:$A#)),1)

Where # represent the row it is in. So if your list is from A1 to A5, it would be

=INDEX($A1:$A5,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA($A1:$A5)),1)

1. How do I use the Random Generator function in Excel 2013?

To use the Random Generator function in Excel 2013, you can either type "=RAND()" into a cell or go to the "Formulas" tab and click on "Insert Function." In the pop-up box, select "Random Generator" from the list of functions and click "OK." This will insert the function into the selected cell and generate a random number between 0 and 1.

2. Can I generate random numbers within a specific range?

Yes, you can use the Random Generator function to generate random numbers within a specific range. For example, if you want to generate a random number between 1 and 10, you can use the formula "=RAND()*(10-1)+1" or you can use the "RANDBETWEEN" function, which allows you to specify the range of numbers you want to generate a random number between.

3. Can I generate a list of random numbers in Excel 2013?

Yes, you can use the Random Generator function to generate a list of random numbers in Excel 2013. To do this, you can enter the formula "=RAND()" into multiple cells and then use the "Fill" function to fill the selected cells with random numbers. Alternatively, you can use the "RANDARRAY" function to generate a list of random numbers in a specific range.

4. Can I use the Random Generator function to generate random dates or times?

Yes, you can use the Random Generator function to generate random dates or times in Excel 2013. To generate a random date, you can use the formula "=RAND()*(end_date-start_date)+start_date," where "end_date" and "start_date" are the dates between which you want to generate a random date. Similarly, to generate a random time, you can use the formula "=RAND()*(end_time-start_time)+start_time," where "end_time" and "start_time" are the times between which you want to generate a random time.

5. How can I generate random text or words in Excel 2013?

You can use the Random Generator function to generate random text or words in Excel 2013. To do this, you can use the "CHAR" function to generate a random character and then combine multiple CHAR functions to create a string of random characters. You can also use the "RANDARRAY" function to generate a list of random characters and then use the "CONCAT" function to combine them into a single string. Alternatively, you can use the "RAND" function to generate a random number and then use the "INDEX" function to select a random word from a list of words.