Random How-to Videos

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How to fly a B-26 - an official training film.

Just in case you're ever trapped on a desert island with no means of escape except a B-26...

Likes mcastillo356 and DaveE

Answers and Replies

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How to design a cross flow turbine

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Just in case you're ever trapped on a desert island with no means of escape except a B-26...

I'm pretty sure I'd die on, or very near, that island.

Anyway, I thought the primitive radio procedures were striking. No read backs, it's all "Wilco" & "Roger". Is that how they really did it?

Likes Ivan Seeking
berkeman
Mentor
No read backs, it's all "Wilco" & "Roger". Is that how they really did it?
I think the read backs came after lots of crashes into control towers and other stuff... o0)

Likes Ivan Seeking and DaveE
berkeman
Mentor
I think the read backs came after lots of crashes into control towers and other stuff... o0)
Although, as a HAM radio operator serving my local fire department in disaster training, I was chided a bit by a FF (who later became chief) who was in the Special Forces at the tip of several spears. He kept reminding me and the other HAM operators that the longer you talk on the radio, the easier it is for the enemy to figure out your position. So in wartime (or military training), the radio calls and responses tend to be very short.

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking and DaveE
DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Although, as a HAM radio operator serving my local fire department in disaster training, I was chided a bit by a FF (who later became Chief) who was in the Special Forces at the tip of several spears. He kept reminding me and the other HAM operators that the longer you talk on the radio, the easier it is for the enemy to figure out your position. So in wartime (or military training), the radio calls and responses tend to be very short.
Yea, you don't want to be drawling on and on with those landing clearances like they do at LAX or JFK :wink:

Likes Ivan Seeking
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2022 Award
As one of the comments says, I reckon the war was over before they got through that pre-flight checklist...

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking, DaveE and BillTre
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How to dispose of metallic sodium

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How to make a Flywheel Trebuchet