Math Question: Finding Best Approximation of Function

• Thread starter mrchauncey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, the conversation discusses an upcoming quiz in a computer software class that involves finding the best approximation of a given function by a family of functions. The speaker shares their understanding of the problem, mentioning the use of least squares or curve fitting, and asks for further insight on what their professor might be asking. They also mention their current approach of plotting points and finding the least squares solution.
mrchauncey
Hi everybody.

I am in this computer software class and I have a quiz coming up. My professor gave us a list of what to expect on the quiz and this question came up:

Given a family of functions f1, f2, f3, .., fn and given a function f, find the best approximation of f by the family. Best here means you have to minimize an error.

I am thinking it his something to do with least squares or some sort of curve fitting, but I just want to get an idea of what I need to review. This class is hard to study for because it is like a review of every math class I ever taken (and some I have not). Then I have to write certain commands and codes on the software to get the right answers, so its pretty hard.

Anybody got any ideas of what my professor is asking.

Thanks for looking.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mrchauncey said:
Hi everybody.

I am in this computer software class and I have a quiz coming up. My professor gave us a list of what to expect on the quiz and this question came up:

Given a family of functions f1, f2, f3, .., fn and given a function f, find the best approximation of f by the family. Best here means you have to minimize an error.

I am thinking it his something to do with least squares or some sort of curve fitting, but I just want to get an idea of what I need to review. This class is hard to study for because it is like a review of every math class I ever taken (and some I have not). Then I have to write certain commands and codes on the software to get the right answers, so its pretty hard.

Anybody got any ideas of what my professor is asking.

Thanks for looking.

Well, you do have to know how the error is to be measured. If it is least squares, the problem would be to find the ##c_i## so that$$
\int_a^b \left( \sum_{i=1}^n c_i f_i - f\right)^2$$is minimized. Or if you want a uniform approximation it might be that$$
\max_{x\in [a,b]}\left|\sum_{i=1}^n c_i f_i(x) - f(x)\right|$$is minimized.

Yea I know how to use least squares. I just wanted some more insight on what he could possibly be asking. Right now in maple I am taking families of different functions, plotting all the points (for a certain range) of each function in the family. Then I found the best fit curve or line of all the points from the family of functions. Then I am taking a function (which is f in the question I stated in my original post) and plotting its points along with the points I found from the curve that fits through the families that I plotted before. Then I am taking the least squares of all the points and finding the least squares solution. I don't know if you will read this but what do you think of that? On track or way off?

Thanks for your time. I'm just confused at the question, but I seem to be getting somewhere so its a start.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I don't really need to fit a curve through the family of functions. I don't think that is necessary.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the best approximation of a function?

The purpose of finding the best approximation of a function is to find an approximation that is as close as possible to the original function. This can be helpful in situations where the original function is complex or difficult to work with, and an approximation can make calculations and analysis easier.

2. How do you determine the best approximation of a function?

The best approximation of a function can be determined using various mathematical methods, such as Taylor series, least squares method, or interpolation. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the best one to use depends on the specific function and its properties.

3. Can the best approximation of a function be exact?

No, the best approximation of a function is not always exact. In some cases, an exact approximation may be possible, but in most cases, the approximation will have some degree of error. However, the goal is to minimize this error and get as close as possible to the original function.

4. Is finding the best approximation of a function important in real-world applications?

Yes, finding the best approximation of a function is important in many real-world applications. For example, in engineering, approximations are used to simplify complex calculations and make them more manageable. In finance, approximations are used to predict future trends and make investment decisions. In data analysis, approximations are used to make sense of large datasets and extract meaningful insights.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the best approximation of a function?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the best approximation of a function. One limitation is that the accuracy of the approximation depends on the chosen method and the degree of complexity of the original function. Another limitation is that the best approximation may not always be feasible or practical to use in certain situations.