Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random Numbered .exe programs

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
    Hi i am having a little bit of a problem for some strange reason my computer is running random numbered .exe programs example: 361921.exe and each one is trying to contact the DNS server. Can any one tell me what this is or how to fix it.

I think it had something to do with the latest windows update that i downloaded yesterday. If anyone has a clue about what might be happening i will appreciate any advice
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2007 #2
    I have at least 30 of such processes running at one time
  4. Jun 13, 2007 #3
    It might be a virus. Some replicate and try to circumvent identification by constantly changing their name.

Did the virus scanner show anything?
  5. Jun 13, 2007 #4
    yes Norton says it is a low risk trying to contact DNS server but when i scanned my pc it came up clean. I found all of the programs in the temp files folder. I am going to attempt to delete them
  6. Jun 14, 2007 #5

Gold Member

You can't delete the process exe file while the process is running.
  7. Jun 14, 2007 #6
    Scan your pc in safe mode with spybot and ad-aware, then your virus program. Do not forget to update them before going to the safe mode.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?