Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random Numbers

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    Simple question: Can computers create 'truly' random numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2
    I guess you have to play the "define random" game to get a good answer.

But simply put, no computer today can get a truly random number. They are all "pseudo random", which means you take a seed number (like, the amount of milliseconds passed since midnight) and run it through a one way hash.

Quantum computers might be able to do it, due to inherent uncertainties in QM, which suggests you can get a truly random seed. How that would work technically, I am not sure.

If you happen to believe in determinism on all scales, then there is no such thing as a random number. It simply cannot be made.

k

4. Aug 16, 2008 #3
    NO, but see this physical random number generator:

The Araneus Alea I USB True Random Number Generator is a compact USB device that generates high-quality true random numbers.
    The Alea I uses a reverse biased semiconductor junction to generate wide-band Gaussian white noise. This noise is amplified and digitized using an analog-to-digital converter.

http://www.araneus.fi/products-alea-eng.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?