Wave-Particle Duality: Random Photon Emission

In summary, the wave-particle duality is all about understanding how the universe behaves as if it is governed by a kind of "randomness" that is inherent to the reality/universe. We don't really know why this is the case, but it is an important part of quantum physics.
severo
Hello,

I'm studying the wave-particle duality, more specifically the matter-wave function of de Broglie:

[itex]\Psi[/itex](x,t)=A sin 2[itex]\pi[/itex]([itex]\frac{x}{\lambda}[/itex]-[itex]\nu[/itex] t)

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the de Broglie wave-length and [itex]\nu[/itex] is the frequency.

The interpretation of this wave is that, [itex]\Psi^{2}[/itex] would be the probability of finding the particle in a certain region of space and time.

For this to be true, we assume that a point font of radiation emits photons randomly and in all directions.

I want to know: why is the emission random?.

Physics news on Phys.org
severo said:
Hello,

I'm studying the wave-particle duality, more specifically the matter-wave function of de Broglie:

[itex]\Psi[/itex](x,t)=A sin 2[itex]\pi[/itex]([itex]\frac{x}{\lambda}[/itex]-[itex]\nu[/itex] t)

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the de Broglie wave-length and [itex]\nu[/itex] is the frequency.

The interpretation of this wave is that, [itex]\Psi^{2}[/itex] would be the probability of finding the particle in a certain region of space and time.

For this to be true, we assume that a point font of radiation emits photons randomly and in all directions.

I want to know: why is the emission random?.

Per our current understanding of QM, the universe/reality is that way.

Randomness is inherent property of the fabric of reality. That's all we can say per our current understanding of knowledge/QM.

Perhaps there is a philosophical/meta-physical answer to this, namely:

At the fundamental level things have to be random, else the universe/time-space would not start (be created).

I see,

This is all very new to me, for I am an Electronics Engineering major. This is my first course in Quantum Physics.

So, basically, we don't really know why it is like this. We can interpret it as being random because Einstein's idea of light intensity is (I=N h [itex]\nu[/itex]), where N is the average number of photons per unit of time that cross a unitary area, in a direction perpendicular to that of the emission.

Is that correct?

severo said:
I see,

This is all very new to me, for I am an Electronics Engineering major. This is my first course in Quantum Physics.

So, basically, we don't really know why it is like this. We can interpret it as being random because Einstein's idea of light intensity is (I=N h [itex]\nu[/itex]), where N is the average number of photons per unit of time that cross a unitary area, in a direction perpendicular to that of the emission.

Is that correct?

Welcome to the forum Severo.

I cannot comment on the above (but it seems right...;)) as I have not taken any course in QM (and don't know the maths part) nor am I a physicist.

However there are some physicists in here...:)

Last edited:
You are just messed up with it.You have just used the definition of intensity and the very fundamental formula E=hf,to get it.moreover your sinusoidal wave function for de-broglie has nothing to do with the probability distribution,i.e., it is not for photon but any particle has a probability distribution represented by modulus square of ψ.

You should look at it like this: If you have an isotropic source of radiation that emits one photon, what you get is a kind of "photon probability wave" that is also spherically symmetric (exactly like the wave function of an electron).
The mysterious thing happens when you actually measure the photon (if there is a detector going "blip" or whatever): Then the probability wave collapses. This is the random process that is involved here. What exactly happens during a measurement is unknown - google for "collapse wave function".

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is a concept in quantum physics that states that particles, such as photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors depending on how they are observed or measured.

2. How does wave-particle duality relate to random photon emission?

In the context of random photon emission, wave-particle duality explains that photons can behave as waves when they are emitted, but then behave as discrete particles when they are detected or measured.

3. What causes random photon emission?

Random photon emission is caused by the spontaneous emission of photons from excited atoms or particles. This occurs randomly due to the inherent uncertainty in quantum systems.

4. How does random photon emission differ from stimulated emission?

Random photon emission is spontaneous and occurs without any external stimulus, while stimulated emission is induced by an external source, such as a photon of the same frequency.

5. What practical applications does understanding wave-particle duality and random photon emission have?

Understanding wave-particle duality and random photon emission is crucial in many areas of science and technology, including quantum computing, telecommunications, and laser technology. It also helps us better understand the fundamental nature of matter and energy.