Random projectile motion problems.

In summary, the displacement between t=1 and t=3 seconds for the projectile is \sqrt{(8a+6b)^2 + (2c)^2}, and the distance from the striking point to where the ball hits the incline again is 2h.
Jebus_Chris
1. Trajectory of a projectile is modeled by
[tex]r(t) = x(t)i+y(t)j[/tex]
[tex]x(t) =at^2+bt[/tex]
[tex]x(t) =ct+d[/tex]
It asks for the displacement between t = 1 and t=3 s.
And I got
[tex]x(t)=8a+2b[/tex]
[tex]y(t)=2c[/tex]
If it is asking for the displacement would the answer be[tex] x+y [/tex] or [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]?2. The ball falls down from height h (above incline) on incline with angle 45. Calculate how far from striking point, ball will hit incline again if collision is perfectly elastic.

So the velocity it gains from falling would be [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]. That would be the initial velocity of when it reflects at 0 degrees. Then you could create the projectile motion equations for it.
[tex]x=\sqrt{2gh}t[/tex]
[tex]y=\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
It will land when the x and y distances are equal. So after replacing the y with x, solving for t in terms of x, and substituting I got x=4h=y. So then the displacement would be [tex]\sqrt{8}h[/tex]. That right?
Now I originally did this as the ball reflecting at 45(><) and i got [tex]x=hcos^2\theta (tan^2\theta - 1)[/tex] That gives you zero but you know that it would eventually hit the ground, why is that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

For the first question, the displacement between t=1 and t=3 seconds would be given by the formula \sqrt{(x(3) - x(1))^2 + (y(3) - y(1))^2}. So the answer would be \sqrt{(8a+6b)^2 + (2c)^2}.

For the second question, I believe you have made a mistake in your calculations. The initial velocity gained from falling would be \sqrt{2gh}sin(45) = \sqrt{gh}. And the projectile motion equations would be:

x = \sqrt{gh}cos(45) t
y = \sqrt{gh}sin(45) t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2

To find the distance from the striking point to where the ball hits the incline again, we need to set x = y and solve for t. This gives us t = \frac{2\sqrt{gh}}{g} = 2\sqrt{\frac{h}{g}}. Substituting this value of t into the equation for x, we get x = \sqrt{gh}cos(45) 2\sqrt{\frac{h}{g}} = 2h. So the displacement would be 2h.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Let me know if you have any further questions.

For the first problem, the answer would be the magnitude of the displacement, so it would be the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y displacements. In other words, it would be \sqrt{(8a+2b)^2 + (2c)^2}.

For the second problem, your approach and final answer are correct. The reason why the ball would eventually hit the ground even though the equation gives a zero value is because the equation assumes a perfect reflection at the incline, which is not realistic. In reality, the ball would lose some energy and not reach the same height as the initial drop, causing it to eventually hit the ground.

1. What is random projectile motion?

Random projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is launched into the air and its trajectory is affected by random forces, such as wind or air resistance. The path of the object cannot be predicted exactly, but can be described statistically.

2. How do you solve random projectile motion problems?

To solve random projectile motion problems, you must first identify the initial conditions of the object, including its initial position, velocity, and acceleration. Then, you can use equations of motion and principles of randomness to calculate the object's trajectory and other properties, such as its maximum height and distance traveled.

3. What factors affect random projectile motion?

The factors that affect random projectile motion include initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and external forces such as wind or gravity. These factors can change the object's trajectory and make it more difficult to predict its motion.

4. What is the difference between random and non-random projectile motion?

The main difference between random and non-random projectile motion is that in non-random motion, the object's trajectory can be predicted precisely using equations of motion and principles of physics. In random motion, the object's path is influenced by unpredictable forces, making it impossible to predict its exact motion.

5. What real-life applications use random projectile motion?

Random projectile motion has many real-life applications, such as in sports like baseball or golf, where the trajectory of a ball is affected by wind and other random forces. It is also used in engineering and design to study and improve the performance of objects that are launched into the air, such as rockets or airplanes.