Random Signals Class: Advice for EE Student

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for advice on taking a Random Signals class in the summer as an EE student. They are unsure about the difficulty of the course and how it compares to other EE courses. The other person suggests speaking with an advisor and students who have taken the class. They also mention their positive experience with a similar course in the past. The course description and textbook are provided and it is described as an introductory course for EE students.
Gerardo Ortega
Hi All,

Looking for Advice on taking Random Signals Class in the summer, I am EE student, Is it very difficult? very challenging or demanding?. I have taken classes in the summer in a community college and I have done OK(B), however I am a little unsure about this one. I work full time and have family.. What are your thoughts, How difficult it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's no more difficult than any other course in the EE curriculum. What's the focus of the course? When you say random signals, are you referring to an introductory course in random processes for electrical engineers, or something higher-level?

The difficulty of such a class can vary significantly from school to school and even from professor to professor, so we would just be guessing. If you post the syllabus (and textbook) our guesses might be better.

I would recommend you speak with your advisor and with students who have taken the class.

By the way, 20+ years ago I took a 'random signals' class (had prerequisites of probability theory, and signals and systems) and have found it to be incredibly useful. Your mileage may vary.

Jason

I am currently taken Signals and Systems I and I am doing Ok, the university allows to take these two classes concurrent, But I decided not to.. Seems like Summer could be a good option since does not have lab. Below is the course description and books requirement. I would say is an introductory course for EE

thanks in Advanced

GeraEEE 350 Random Signal Analysis (3) [F, S, SS] Course (Catalog) Description: Probabilistic and statistical analysis as applied to electrical signals and systems. Lecture. Required course. Pre or corequisite: EEE 203 Textbook: Yates and Goodman, Probability and Stochastic Processes, second edition, Wiley, 2005

Course Topics: 1. Axiomatic probability 2. Random variables, distribution functions, and density functions 3. Special distributions: Gaussian, exponential, etc. 4. Expectation and variance 5. Multiple random variables 6. Central limit theorem and law of large numbers 7. Maximum-likelihood estimation and confidence intervals 8. Random processes 9. Statistical analysis using sample statistics, histograms, and linear regression

What is a random signal?

A random signal is a signal that does not have a predictable pattern or behavior. It is characterized by a random or unpredictable sequence of values over time.

Why is understanding random signals important for EE students?

Random signals are commonly encountered in various fields of engineering, including electrical engineering. Understanding random signals is crucial for EE students as it helps them to analyze and design systems that can effectively handle random variations and noise.

What are some common types of random signals?

Some common types of random signals include white noise, colored noise, random walks, and random processes.

How can I analyze random signals in my EE coursework?

There are various tools and techniques for analyzing random signals, such as spectral analysis, autocorrelation, and probability distributions. Your coursework may also cover topics related to random signals, such as stochastic processes and random variables.

What are some tips for successfully completing a Random Signals class?

Some tips for successfully completing a Random Signals class include practicing problem-solving techniques, understanding the underlying mathematical concepts, and seeking help from your professor or classmates when needed. It is also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively to keep up with the coursework.